NEWSFLASH: Anna Troup Breaks Women's Pennine Way Record

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 17 Aug 2021

Anna Troup has broken the women's speed record on the Pennine Way, setting a time of 72:46 to beat Sabrina Verjee's 2020 record of 74 hours 28 minutes by a convincing margin.

Read more

In reply to UKC/UKH News:

Congratulations.

Totally off-this-topic, but following a link or two - is that Sabrina V I see supporting John Kelly's Pennine Way record? Nice to see if so.

jcm

Post edited at 14:21
 Derry 17 Aug 2021

what a feat! just mindblowing. I saw the tracker link on somewhere today and was just gobsmacked at how far the Pennine Way is... and to do it in 3 days! 

What is an average amount of time people usually set aside to walk it? 3 weeks? 

The New NickB 17 Aug 2021

I suspect that there might be some way to go with the women’s record. Anna Troup’s new record is 25% slower than John Kelly’s record. The usual rule of thumb is 10% to account for physiological differences between men and women, but this is often much less for very long events and challenges like this. Very impressive non the less.

Denning76 17 Aug 2021
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

He attempted it towards the end of July when it was really hot but had to pull out sadly. Believe he's back in the States at the moment.

Edshakey 17 Aug 2021
In reply to Denning76:

That was the Wainwright's - he successfully beat the PWFKT in May in sub-60.

And I believe Sabrina did do some pacing yes, it's pretty common to see the big names pacing each other on different challenges - Jasmin Paris was did a stretch of John's PW too I think 

Denning76 17 Aug 2021
In reply to Edshakey:

Oh sorry, managed to totally misread what you said.

Lankyman 17 Aug 2021
In reply to Derry:

> What is an average amount of time people usually set aside to walk it? 3 weeks? 

My ex did it earlier this summer in 3 weeks carrying tent etc with a rest day or two. I did it in 15 days but that was in 1983 with daily mileages between 26 and 5 (beer/food poisoning in Gargrave!). We were young and indestructible in those days.

This really is incredible, not just because she did it, but because of how she's done it twice - both times breaking records. 2 x Pennine Ways within the space of just three months, and the Lakeland 100 in between, is just mind blowing...

I heard a rumour she was down to do the winter Spine Race too, so that'd mean a third 'lap' 😱

chrishedgehog 19 Aug 2021
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

When we did it, we were accompanied some of the way by a geologist from Barnsley. Every time he saw an interesting rock he picked it up to bring home for further analysis. I picked up his sack at one point. It was heavier than the sun. For me, he will always be the true champion.

We took 19 days by the way. And that was hard enough.

The New NickB 19 Aug 2021
In reply to Derry:

I did a bit of experimenting a few weeks back, with the idea of walking it quite quickly. I did Edale to just above Todmorden in a day (diverted half a mile and bivvied at Gaddings Dam), then next morning continued on the Pennine Way to the Rochdale Canal at Callis Bridge and 13 flat miles home. My conclusion was that 40+ miles a day and therefore completing the Pennine Way in a week, would stop being fun in much less than a week.

r0b 19 Aug 2021
In reply to The New NickB:

> I suspect that there might be some way to go with the women’s record. Anna Troup’s new record is 25% slower than John Kelly’s record. The usual rule of thumb is 10% to account for physiological differences between men and women, but this is often much less for very long events and challenges like this. Very impressive non the less.

Anna was injured for the last 50 or so miles as I understand it and almost had to drop. From the tracker she was on her schedule at Bellingham but then lost about 3 hours from there to the finish

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...