Finger tendon/ligament recovery time

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr Ed 14 Aug 2021

Just wondering if anyone has any advice really.

Managed to damage my little finger a couple of weeks back ratcheting a strap, heard a pop and then afterwards I couldn't lift up my finger at all. It was permanently curled over- some pain, swelling and weird nerve sensations initially. I guess I ruptured my little finger extensor tendon or the ligaments detached. 

Either way have had it strapped 'extended' with micropore/splints for  3 weeks. The 'joint' is still swollen. When I take the splint/tape off finger is still curled over. Nerve sensation in the finger is still pretty weird too. 

Any advice as to anyone recovering from similar? Do I need to go and see the quack or should I just learn to live with it?

Cheers!

Mr Ed

chris_r 14 Aug 2021
In reply to Mr Ed:

Sounds nasty. I think you need to get a medical professional to see it. Either your GP or their in-house "First Contact Physiotherapist" (every practice should have access to one by now).

I won't try to give an unqualified internet diagnosis! 

biscuit 14 Aug 2021
In reply to Mr Ed:

Get yourself off to your nearest UTC or Dr’s as soon as you can.

if it is a rupture time is of the essence to re attach before the muscle contracts and it can’t be fixed, if it isn’t too late already….. 

OP Mr Ed 14 Aug 2021
In reply to biscuit:

Cheers for the advice folks- was hoping it would start to mend on it's own but I can see i've probably been a bit daft. 

Next step- trying to access GP services in North Wales. Joy.... 

Thanks all. 

In reply to Mr Ed:

I would get yourself to A&E rather than the GP?

mik82 15 Aug 2021
In reply to Mr Ed:

I'm not sure GP is best for this to be honest (Not sure why the poster suggesting A&E has been downvoted).

It's a bit of a grey area as to where to go being 3 weeks post injury but you likely need assessment from someone skilled in tendon injuries and some kind of imaging. You may need something more than home splinting. Access to imaging via GP is pretty limited - they could refer you for an x-ray for which you'd be waiting several weeks and they don't generally have supplies like splints for minor injuries. 

If your GP is able to get you seen by orthopaedics within a couple of days then fine - but you may find you are advised to go to A&E, or they spend ages on the phone trying to get through to someone from orthopaedics.. who then advises you to go to A&E.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...