Helmet recommendations for occasional road cycling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SDM 07 Aug 2021

I very rarely cycle but after a change of job, my commute is now just about cyclable so I would like to start cycling to work occasionally and I'm in need of a new helmet.

Can anyone recommend a good helmet for someone who has no idea what to look for?

Is MIPS necessary (or even helpful? My very quick bit of research suggested opinions are a bit mixed). Any models or other features to look for or to avoid? I would like to stay well under £100 unless there is a big improvement in safety and comfort by spending more. I don't need to pay extra for the lightest gear etc.

My local independent shop has cut their hours right down since covid and I'm working whenever they are open. The only place I could make it to to try one on is Halfords so it's either Halfords or buying one online. Any recommendations for good places to buy online also gratefully received (bonus points for being good value and independent).

girlymonkey 07 Aug 2021
In reply to SDM:

I look for something with good ventilation. I assume all are pretty good for safety, so I just go for comfort. I like to have enough space in it that I can add a hat or buff under it in winter.

Alkis 07 Aug 2021
In reply to SDM:

A typical Specialized helmet is good, comfy, fairly well vented and should set you back around 40 quid, but you should go for comfort and you can't be sure whether a helmet will be comfortable or not without trying it on.

rockcatch 07 Aug 2021
In reply to SDM:

I got my last helmet from Halford. I’m not a serious cyclist - just a bit of fun, and as long as it is comfortable and I’m happy wearing it for the ride that’s the main thing. Mine is fairly light, and I’m fairly sure it cost under £50. 

GrahamD 07 Aug 2021
In reply to SDM:

Helmets from Halfords are fine.

Webster 07 Aug 2021
In reply to SDM:

pretty much all cycling helmets sold in the uk (in fact, probably all...) will meet the same minumum safety specifications. anything above that is just unnecesary unless your name is Geraint Thomas and crashing at 40mph is your thing!

the really cheap ones will just fall apart with regular use, so its a false economy, but anything in the £30-50 range will be more than adequate. just get something which is comfortable and you like the look of.

elsewhere 07 Aug 2021
In reply to SDM:

I used a Lidl helmet costing 5-10 quid for daily commuting. It lasted a few years until I did a little mountain biking without a mountain bike and more importantly without skill. 

Alkis 07 Aug 2021
In reply to elsewhere:

> did a little mountain biking without a mountain bike and more importantly without skill. 

I'll be honest, going around some of the trails at Sherwood pines on a road bike hybrid with 26mm slick tyres was some of the best fun I've had in years! :P

petegunn 07 Aug 2021
In reply to SDM:

Have a look on the Planetx web site, they always have good offers on all bike related items.  

LastBoyScout 07 Aug 2021
In reply to SDM:

Anything in the Abus, Giro or Bell ranges in Halfords will be fine, but the important thing is that it fits and you can't test that online.

Don't buy helmets online. Because it's classed as PPE, you can't return a helmet if it doesn't fit. Also, I tried it once and it arrived just in a poly bag and no telling what might have happened to it on the way, so that DID get returned as damaged in transit!

When you try it on, try pulling it onto your head to see if there's any bits that dig in and do spend a bit of time getting the straps properly adjusted.

For what it's worth, I don't like the current Specialized strap style, but you might be fine with them.

plyometrics 07 Aug 2021
In reply to SDM:

As petegunn says, planetx will give you what you want. 

fill your boots: 

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/helmets/road-helmets

Post edited at 20:04
 Basemetal 07 Aug 2021
In reply to SDM:

I recently had to replace a helmet after a crash and had some good suggestions made to me in a thread here asking recommendations. There were some useful links to helmet rankings as well.

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/biking/which_road_helmet-733180

As has been said, Fit is (nearly) everything, so be prepared to return a few if you have to order from t'internet.

In the end I bought a Giro Agilis (Mips) and I'm delighted with it -light, comfy, well ventilated and good coverage. It gets very well reviewed so you can read up on it, and It's well under £100 (think I paid £65). There are good MIPs helmets around now from about £50 as it becomes increasingly mainstream.

Basemetal 07 Aug 2021
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> Don't buy helmets online. Because it's classed as PPE, you can't return a helmet if it doesn't fit.

I haven't found this to be the case. I was happily returning helmets earlier this year. The websites don't mention any such restriction (come to think of it I've returned several climbing helmets over the last few years as well - a consequence of having an XXL  size head..(mostly thick skull, no doubt)).

LastBoyScout 07 Aug 2021
In reply to Basemetal:

> I haven't found this to be the case. I was happily returning helmets earlier this year. The websites don't mention any such restriction (come to think of it I've returned several climbing helmets over the last few years as well - a consequence of having an XXL  size head..(mostly thick skull, no doubt)).

Interesting - I'm just going by my experience, but it's a while since I've bought a new helmet and maybe things have changed.

TobyA 07 Aug 2021
In reply to plyometrics:

None of the helmets from the various planet X brands fitted my head shape, because I always used to try them on when they still had the shop in Rotherham because they were such good prices. So just a be a bit wary about ordering online.

TobyA 07 Aug 2021
In reply to SDM:

I'm sure something in Halfords will be fine, but if you are not in a massive rush and will be going close to a Decathlon at some point, it's well worth trying theirs. Not all their models fit my head shape but I just got their new top of the range road helmet and it was 40 quid - a design like the ones you pay over 100 quid for from a brand.

In reply to SDM:

For casual use I’m on my second Aldi helmet as my pop locally type of slow riding one! Fits me very well which was the main reason I bought the first one, has usual safety certifications and a bargain at £10.

The chin strap is not the best for comfort, but works fine. I’ve certainly wasted money on a dearer helmet previously that just didn’t fit right. Fit, sizing (including allowing for caps, glasses, etc) and comfort is of importance I feel.

I do, however, have other helmets for other types of riding which are actually all MIPS helmets; just felt that was appropriate for off road stuff.

Basemetal 07 Aug 2021
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

> For casual use I’m on my second Aldi helmet as my pop locally type of slow riding one! Fits me very well which was the main reason I bought the first one, has usual safety certifications and a bargain at £10.

I couldn't resist picking one of those up too- for leaving with the MTB when I use it on long munro day walk-ins. I found I wasn't wearing a helmet but falling off the bike roughly one trip in two... so the helmet made sense but I don't want to leave (or carry) an expensive one. Not that comfy for me though- a bit too round, but good enough for pratfalls. If it fits I don't see any need to spend more

In reply to Basemetal:

> If it fits I don't see any need to spend more 

Though if other features are desired/needed (eg ventilation, visors, etc.) then there can be a “need” to spend more. Having MIPS on my other helmets is a reassurance - hopefully never to be really tested - and I like having helmets with extra length at the front peak for shielding sun and for extra protection from hitting tree branches and such like encountered far too often!

I do like the Aldi one for casual riding though. It’s the most comfortable and lightest one of all my helmets! Also, at the price I have no qualms at replacing it when needed.

Dark-Cloud 08 Aug 2021
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> Don't buy helmets online. Because it's classed as PPE, you can't return a helmet if it doesn't fit. Also, I tried it once and it arrived just in a poly bag and no telling what might have happened to it on the way, so that DID get returned as damaged in transit!

Most of the larger online retailers are happy to take returns of helmets as long as you don’t take the tags off it’s fine, I have done it numerous times.

Webster 08 Aug 2021
In reply to Webster:

> the really cheap ones will just fall apart with regular use, so its a false economy, but anything in the £30-50 range will be more than adequate. just get something which is comfortable and you like the look of.

ok having seen the planet X link above i will revise that down to £20-50!

the point is its just a ball park, what matters is does it look and feel cheep, like the kind you will find in asda etc where the outer 'plastic' shell (which is barely a shell...) is not really attached to the polystyrene of the helmet and will just fall off, or if the buckles and straps look like really poor quality etc. you dont need to be an expert to spot something that looks and feels too cheap. cheap tacky things look and feel cheap and tacky.

a second for decathlon btw if you can get to one. like most of their stuff it is excelent value for money, and if you buy thir top end products you are getting something which will rival many top brands equipment.

elsewhere 08 Aug 2021
In reply to Webster:

Cheap helmets do not fall apart as otherwise the functionality would not meet an official safety standard.

In reply to Webster:

My Aldi ones have seen more use both in mileage and  time than any other helmet I’ve got. My first one was still intact in good condition when I retired it. Previous cheaper helmets were still not falling apart when I retired them.

If a helmet meet the safety standards it should last the general advice of five years before retiring it. Personally I retire helmets between 3-5yrs or as soon as they have had a significant incident.

elsewhere 08 Aug 2021
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Try stamping on, bashing or even hammering on an old helmet before you dispose of it. Dense polystyrene in a thin plastic shell is impressively tough, far tougher than my skull.

Post edited at 11:48
 Siward 08 Aug 2021
In reply to elsewhere:

Precisely. Never ask cyclists how to spend money.

Wilkos helmets are fine. 

Mike Mead 09 Aug 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Some may take the return and bin it anyway. I have been told Decathlon do that.

> Most of the larger online retailers are happy to take returns of helmets as long as you don’t take the tags off it’s fine, I have done it numerous times.

Dave B 09 Aug 2021
In reply to SDM:

Fit is key.

I'm more of a Giro head than any of the other brands, but it's still not perfect.

My mate is a specialized head. 

My wife fits bell better. 

Try different brands to find what suits you. A sort of right fit can feel very uncomfortable after 45 mins! 

OP SDM 11 Aug 2021
In reply to SDM:

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Due to covid, I can't even try on a helmet at Halfords (I should have seen that one coming) so fingers crossed I can find one that fits OK online.

Alkis 11 Aug 2021
In reply to SDM:

My local Evans and Rutland Cycling both allow trying helmets on, so worth a try.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...