Camping foods

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 psykx 22 Jul 2021

What have you found to be the best camping foods for mountain days? I'm talking about a base camp rather than nights on the mountain although I'm interested in that too. 

Porridge in the morning seems like a good idea. But are instant oats preferable over the rolled kind?

What are you eating in the evening? Protein has to be included for recovery. 

crayefish 22 Jul 2021
In reply to psykx:

I tried loads of freeze dried options but eXtreme Adventure Foods/Bewell Expedition Foods (same brand nowadays) are by far the best.  Have happily eaten them every night for 3 week expeditions, even at base camp.  Go for more curry/chilli options though, as the pastas never hydrate well at altitude/lower temps.  The new range of Expedition Foods is meant to be good too, but haven't tried them yet.  I dont see the point of bothering with the bulk/weight/hassle of anything else (and I have tried on longer expeditions) when the above are perfect perfect multi week trips.

Most other brands than the above do silly 600-700 calorie options.  Waste of time.  800 or 1000 is required for days on the hill/mountain.

For breaky, home made porridge and powdered milk with coconut/chocolate/nuts/dried fruits is the way to go (all premixed in baggies).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...