Top Rope venues, Wye Valley Area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PaulW71 12 Jul 2021

Can anyone recommend any good Top Rope sites in Gloucester area/ Wye Valley as I’m camping there in the a few weeks and want to take my 8 year old climbing.

Cheers

Paul 

BStar 12 Jul 2021
In reply to PaulW71:

Symonds Yat is the obvious answer, easy access to the top, tree belays, climbs for all grades.  Symonds Yat 

OP PaulW71 12 Jul 2021
In reply to BStar:

Cheers 👍

LastBoyScout 12 Jul 2021
In reply to PaulW71:

Symonds Yat - It's not called the Introductory Rocks section for nothing, but it is rather polished in places as a result. Often crowded with groups, too.

There are plenty of low grade routes scattered along the other sections, all with relatively easy access to the top and trees to anchor from, but you might need a long sling for some of them. Some can get quite vegetated from lack of traffic.

If he gets bored climbing, it is possible (although not necessarily recommended) to get into the caves from near the Longstone.

Cretan Girl 12 Jul 2021

I took my 10 year old son to New Orleans Buttress at Symonds Yat recently. It worked well for us. There are a good range of 8m - 11m  routes. It has an easy walk in via the Mailscot Wood trail from the bottom of the car park.  The  top is friendlier than some at the Yat if your son is with you when you are rigging, with good trees for setting up anchors.

OP PaulW71 13 Jul 2021
In reply to Cretan Girl:

Great advice Cretan.

Thanks 👍

OP PaulW71 13 Jul 2021
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Topman LBS. 👍

OP PaulW71 13 Jul 2021
In reply to BStar:

Cheers Bstar

wilsers 14 Jul 2021
In reply to Cretan Girl:

And the routes are not so polished to be like glass, as they are at Introductory Rocks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...