Double sleeping bags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 07 Jul 2021

Has anyone used these and how do you get on with them?

We've got single, mummy shaped bags, but my wife finds them quite restrictive and also feels the cold at night, so would like to use me as her hot water bottle*!

It'll only be used once or twice a year on family camping trips in the summer.

We're off camping this weekend and I've got the option of picking up a Vango Evolve Superwarm, Ember or Serenity Superwarm at a decent price (camping show down the road atm) before we go, so giving it serious consideration.

* I will be taking my usual bag as a spare, as there's a good chance I'll be booted out by daughter around 4am!

TobyA 07 Jul 2021
In reply to LastBoyScout:

If you've got a LH zip and RH zip mummy bags, zipping them together if you are sleeping with your partner seems to make the bags much warmer than their individual ratings. We've borrowed "summer car family camping holiday square sleeping bags" as well, and used them zipped together, mainly only in warm-ish places, and that's more like sleeping under a a double duvet. They tend not to be anywhere close to as warm as mummy bags designed for backpacking and the like. They don't often seem to be sold with serious temperature ratings possibly because there are so many variables involved in using them, compared to one person in a mummy bag with the hood up.

DaveHK 07 Jul 2021

I'm not convinced a double bag would be any warmer, you'd get more gaps and draughts.

Jenny C 07 Jul 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

> I'm not convinced a double bag would be any warmer, you'd get more gaps and draughts.

You do and this is why my husband refuses to zip our two bags together.... but I find it much warmer as he is a hot sleeper and I can enjoy his excess heat.

DaveHK 07 Jul 2021
In reply to Jenny C:

> You do and this is why my husband refuses to zip our two bags together.... 

That's what he says...  

knighty 07 Jul 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

> I'm not convinced a double bag would be any warmer, you'd get more gaps and draughts.

This nails it. I've found a double sleeping bag to be no warmer, mainly due to draughts, but they are also generally not made from the same standards of technical materials.

However, I love mine for summer camping. Easy to regulate your own temperature with your side zip, and feels much more like sleeping at home under a duvet.

OP LastBoyScout 07 Jul 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Unfortunately, they are different makes and the zips aren't compatible, or I would have done.

whenry 07 Jul 2021

We bought a Vango Aurora Vario a couple of years ago at my wife's insistence. She gets very cold at night, whilst I normally end up sleeping on top of my sleeping bag during the spring and summer. So far she's not complained at all about being cold since we've had the double bag - possibly a sign that she should have bought a warmer sleeping bag before - and combined with a double roll mat, it's very comfortable - not far off being in bed. We've not used it between October and June yet (b***** pandemic), so how it functions when it's colder we've yet to find out.

It is huge though, even packed down, so it probably wouldn't fit in a small two-man tent, and even packed up it's about the size of three of my old four season synthetic bags.

If you're using it for car camping in the summer I think it would be absolutely fine - but it's rare that you actually need a technical bag in those conditions.

TobyA 07 Jul 2021

> Unfortunately, they are different makes and the zips aren't compatible, or I would have done.

Annoying, I've always found on our various bags zips were compatible even when different brands, so we often zip an old ME down bag up with my almost as old Haglof synthetic bag. But I'm sure not everyone uses the same gauge YKK zips, I've got a Crux waterproof bag for example which uses one of the funny waterproof zips that I'm sure doesn't work with anything else!

Hutson 07 Jul 2021

We've got a Big Agnes King Solomon - it's a down double bag but no down in the bottom, just a sleeve that you slide the pads/mats into which is great as it stops them sliding apart. We've used it into early October and been warm enough. We also use separate silk liners (did try a double but it got too twisted). My husband won't consider camping beyond October so it's not been tested beyond that.

OP LastBoyScout 07 Jul 2021
In reply to whenry:

Her bag should be ok - Vango Stratos 250 women's spec - although I've toyed with the idea of putting her in my ME Snowline to test that theory.

She'd probably still complain about a cold nose, though, and it wouldn't solve the feeling of restriction in a mummy bag.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...