Filming at Castell Helen - 22nd & 23rd June

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mountainz 16 Jun 2021

Filming will be taking place at Castell Helen, Gogarth on Tuesday 22nd and Wednesday 23rd June Unfortunately for safety reasons and with the permission of the RSPB the cliff will need to be closed to climbers for these 2 days.

As such, we're wanting to make local climbers and climbing groups aware to avoid any disruption and disappointment.

For any queries, please contact Patricia Doherty or Jake Holdsworth - pdoherty@candour.tv / jholdsworth@candour.tv

Moacs 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Mountainz:

Curious about this.  The RAD says green - no restrictions; which is presumably the RSPB's assessment for any climbing.  Presumably they wouldn't have made an exception if there was a climbing ban in place?  So the RSPB bit is a little irrelevant.

As for closing the cliff, on what authority?

Can I do the same next year if I want it to myself for a couple of days?

Alex Riley 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Moacs:

Presumably because they are the landowner/manager?

Post edited at 13:28
 Moacs 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Alex Riley:

They're not the landowner.  they manage the bird colonies/impact...and have marked the RAD as green.

I think these things grate because of the sense of entitlement "we're filming so it's really important".  A request for help would sound better.  In April they worked round climbers and it seemed ok?

Post edited at 13:34
 galpinos 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Moacs:

Are you sure they're not the landowner? If it's not them then who is?

OP Mountainz 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Mountainz:

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. We have a number of active climbers & instructors on our team and the last thing we want to do is disrupt peoples plans, while still getting our work done safely.

During our earlier filming back in April we were successfully able to work around other climbers. However this time we will be testing some new 5G technology on the cliff and cliff top which requires a safe working zone around it. We've explored various options but felt that the safest solution for everyone was to request a cliff closure.

Castell Helen and the surrounding area are owned by the RSPB and they have agreed to our request

I hope this puts things in context. We will endeavour to complete our testing / filming as soon as possible and get the cliff reopened for everyone

Thank you

Moacs 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Mountainz:

Thanks for clarifying.

toad 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Mountainz:

5G? Do the special safety measures include tinfoil helmets?

I could imagine a certain section of the community getting quite agitated at the thought of a whole crag needing to be closed for safety because of 5G

Tony Buckley 16 Jun 2021
In reply to toad:

> I could imagine a certain section of the community getting quite agitated at the thought of a whole crag needing to be closed for safety because of 5G

It's understandable enough.  If they're going to increase gravitational pull by a factor of five, you wouldn't be able to do much and accidents would happen.  I'm sure that's behind the closure on safety grounds.

T.

Ridge 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Mountainz:

> However this time we will be testing some new 5G technology on the cliff and cliff top which requires a safe working zone around it. 

I've been vaccinated, I can act as a signal booster.

toad 17 Jun 2021
In reply to Ridge:

No good. You're running Windows. Media creative types are exclusively apple

kevin stephens 17 Jun 2021
In reply to Mountainz:

You are aware that your 5G trials will fail because any phone used at Castell Helen will automatically connect to the Irish rather than UK network? Have you budgeted for roaming charges?

In reply to Mountainz:

I'm climbing in the Pass on Saturday and plan on doing some filming on my 5G phone. We haven't decided exactly where we're going yet, so the safest option is to close the entire Pass to climbers. Thanks for your cooperation.

PaulTanton 17 Jun 2021
In reply to Mountainz:

this sounds like a wind up. Why would you want to test 5G at Castell Helen?  
if the test is hazardous to climbers whats it gonna do to all the birds? Oh, unless you give them all tin hats. 

Ridge 17 Jun 2021
In reply to toad:

True, should have waited for the Modena Safari vaccine.

CantClimbTom 17 Jun 2021
In reply to PaulTanton:

> if the test is hazardous to climbers whats it gonna do to all the birds? Oh, unless you give them all tin hats. 

You've seen them cooking whole chickens in that big glass fronted oven on end of the deli counter Tesco? Well it's a bit like that but the birds are on the wing

Martin Hore 17 Jun 2021
In reply to Mountainz:

Just clicked to find a profile for "Mountainz" and see he/she's been restricted from posting. Perhaps someone in the know can clarify whether this is a scam. It looks like it to me, although Candour TV seems legit enough.

Martin

richprideaux 17 Jun 2021
In reply to Martin Hore:

I have worked with said human a few times. They're legit, and work in outdoor media support stuff.

Graeme Hammond 18 Jun 2021
In reply to Martin Hore:

> Just clicked to find a profile for "Mountainz" and see he/she's been restricted from posting. Perhaps someone in the know can clarify whether this is a scam. It looks like it to me, although Candour TV seems legit enough.

> Martin

Don't know about a scam but i thought the area was open access land, which if i am correct unless the apparent closure has gone through the correct procedure it would not be legal.

http://www.openaccess.naturalengland.org.uk/wps/portal/oasys/maps/MapSearch

Post edited at 06:36
 Mark Kemball 18 Jun 2021
In reply to Becky E:

Your link does not seem to work.

Becky E 18 Jun 2021
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Annoying!  Try this http://www.openaccess.naturalengland.org.uk/wps/portal/oasys/maps/MapSearch and put in grid ref SH206819

Mark Kemball 18 Jun 2021
In reply to Becky E:

That links to "Natural England", Gogarth is Wales. Do you have a grid ref?

Howard J 18 Jun 2021
In reply to Mountainz:

Sea cliffs in Wales are excluded from Access Land, which the BMC is trying to do something about.

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/wales-access-update-march-2020

Becky E 18 Jun 2021

> That links to "Natural England", Gogarth is Wales. Do you have a grid ref?

Yes, see ^^^

Owain Llewelyn 19 Jun 2021
In reply to Mountainz:

Considering the amount of quiet crags in North Wales, Gogarth included,  how could anyone come up with such such dull idea to use this location again, particularly after the chaos you caused the last time you tipped up. Castell Helen offers a friendly introduction to sea cliffs climbing and to try and deprive people of the opportunity to climb there for 2 days during the summer period is unacceptable.   

Post edited at 21:27
 Mark Kemball 19 Jun 2021
In reply to Owain Llewelyn:

Totally agree. UKC mid week meet there Tuesday and Wednesday? (Unfortunately I've other commitments.)

Bsmithprice 25 Jun 2021

Went to castell Helen on the 22nd, We walked down to the ab and were met by a spiders web of static ropes and rigging and that was the first we heard anything was happening. We were told the crag was effectively closed for the day but they weren’t policing it so we just climbed there anyway and made sure we were out of the way by the time they started filming (they were using 5G cables lowered down the line of northwest passage to live broadcast it, so stayed well clear of those to avoid any growth of additional testicles and we fitted tin foil to our helmets). Overall everyone was pretty friendly and happy for us to climb (apart from one slightly less friendly guy in a caving harness, maybe he didn’t like the sun and was yearning for the nice, dark, cold and wet sanctuary of the underground or maybe he was just having a bad day) but it does make you question why they chose the most accessible and popular sea cliff in north Wales, and I do believe it could of been better forewarned as one post hidden the ukc forums and a couple on Facebook won’t reach a particular large audience. Anyway we still managed to climb and we didn’t get in their way and they didn’t get in ours so can’t complain.

Post edited at 12:13
 GrahamD 25 Jun 2021
In reply to Bsmithprice:

What are "5g" cables ?

Bsmithprice 25 Jun 2021
In reply to GrahamD:

cables lowered down the line of NWP to provide a 5G connection so the footage could be relayed wirelessly straight to the live broadcast

Ridge 25 Jun 2021
In reply to Bsmithprice:

> cables lowered down the line of NWP to provide a 5G connection so the footage could be relayed wirelessly straight to the live broadcast

So it's a wireless transmission involving a shedload of wires? 😉

I can't help thinking it's more 5G publicity stunt than serious filming.

jezb1 25 Jun 2021
In reply to Ridge:

> So it's a wireless transmission involving a shedload of wires? 😉

> I can't help thinking it's more 5G publicity stunt than serious filming.

Video is here, nothing to do with me just saw it linked elsewhere.

youtube.com/watch?v=bnlLdwcIsL4&

wercat 26 Jun 2021
In reply to Ridge:

> So it's a wireless transmission involving a shedload of wires? 😉

I'm sorry to tell you this joke was cracked by my mother to my father as he he made quite futile poking gestures with a screwdriver inside a broken wireless when I was quite small.  (futile -  I didn't know it at the time but he had practically zero knowledge of what went on inside, but he was a man and did own a screwdriver, how could he fail?)

I don't think that  her "It's supposed to be a wireless so why has it got so many wires in it" was even an original joke then

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...