hutton roof for kids advice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 martin22 15 Jun 2021

Im thinking of taking my kids (9 and 6) to hutton roof but never been before so just wondered what its like so got a couple of quick questions! 

-How high are the routes  (south america wall area, they dont look too big in the photos)?

- is it suitable for setting up a top rope, or better belaying from the top?

Thanks

Dark-Cloud 15 Jun 2021
In reply to martin22:

From memory South America Wall area is quite undercut at the base and not a pleasant place to stand around underfoot, I would say the kids would be better down at the Ronson Kirkby Area areas which has Cyclops etc. on it, its a grassy area at the base, there is threads a plenty at the top to setup top ropes.

sbc23 15 Jun 2021
In reply to martin22:

Good spot for kids. There’s some easy mod/diff stuff in the middle from memory. 

Keep an eye on them, it’s easy to wander off/around and end up on the top of the crag. 

Watch out for the ticks on the approach paths.

GrahamD 15 Jun 2021
In reply to martin22:

Can't remember the sectors, but Hutton Roof is great with kids.  Easy walk in, great grassy base, amenable rock.

In reply to martin22:

The routes there are pretty short, less than 10m iirc. It's a great place to be with kids and there's some lovely walks round there as well.

Lrunner 15 Jun 2021
In reply to martin22:

About the most kid friendly crag in the UK. Loads of "routes" that aren't but still good fun for kids. 

Lankyman 15 Jun 2021
In reply to martin22:

As others have said, lots of short, juggy stuff no more than 8 metres high. You don't need a guide, just eyes to pick out the appropriate lines for your kids. I'd recommend wandering down the slope above the village to look at the tilted limestone pavements with the amazing karren grooves. Apparently they're famous in geology circles. Depending on how you approach the crag there is also the Cuckoo Stone - a cut price Bowderstone made of limestone!

OP martin22 15 Jun 2021

Thanks for all the replies, will have a trip there with the kids this weekend, showed them a photo of it and they're well excited!

alan moore 15 Jun 2021
In reply to martin22:

Parking was a bit awkward I thought. Upset the locals by parking in front of a house and got boxed in...

Lovely spot though.

pec 15 Jun 2021
In reply to alan moore:

> Parking was a bit awkward I thought. Upset the locals by parking in front of a house and got boxed in...

If you head north from the village past the church at the road junction there's a layby another couple of hundred yards past the church which won't annoy the locals (unless you block the gate).

Walk back to the church and there's a footpath on the uphill side of it which can be used to access the crag. It's only slightly further to walk than parking in the village.

Rog Wilko 15 Jun 2021
In reply to pec:

The crags are quite hard to find on first acquaintance. Easiest is to park near the church (perhaps not on Sunday morning) as pec says. Follow the path into the wood behind the church. Where this emerges    from the wood bear route and walk up the path for about 250 metres. Wall and fields shortly on your right. Take the first prominent path going steeply up to your left. At the top of the slope just wander a bit in the same direction and with any luck you’ll find the left end of the crag. 
Some of the best routes for kids are about 100m from the left where the crag has scrubby woodland below it. If you’re happy soloing the routes I suggest tying the kids to the ends of the rope and clipping the middle to your harness rather than setting up top ropes. Belays can be a bit iffy.

Great place to blood the kids!

Rog Wilko 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Edit the above: bear right, not route.

It’s just occurred to me that the reason people get confused trying to find the crag is that it faces up the hill.

Michael Hood 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> It’s just occurred to me that the reason people get confused trying to find the crag is that it faces up the hill.

And because it's The Rakes, not just The Rake - at least 3 of them, and from the route you describe, there's no clue that there's a crag just over there round the corner. I've always walked up the path from the end of Crag Lane straight from the village, and even from that path you don't actually see the rock until you've started to go past it.

I've usually parked in that bay in front of the new-build houses (or considerately on the roadside) at the south end of the village, never had a problem - maybe I've just avoided crowded times.

For a real navigation test - just make your way from The Rakes to the trig point - it's only just over a kilometre, a doddle, there are even several paths ☹. Up there, and the similar territory under Warton Upper would make ideal orienteering areas - complete "I know it's only just over there, so where the f**k is it?" terrain.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...