Camp Cuisine - five energy packed dinners for better-fed backpacking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Too many people who eat hills for breakfast don't pay much attention to what they eat for dinner afterwards, says food writer and hillwalker Fliss Freeborn. Using proper ingredients, with no recourse to dehydrated mush, these tasty, calorie-rich recipes are adapted for transport in a pack and easy preparation on a camp stove. You can't always subsist on noodles alone after all.   

Read more

In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

An enjoyable read with some great ideas, really liked the sense of humor.

Hillseeker 21 May 2021

These recipes sound great for home never mind backpacking!!

In reply to Hillseeker:

Reckon I'm going to do the Mexican cultural appropriation dish tonight.

Now, where's my sombrero? Arriiiba!

Alex Riley 21 May 2021
In reply to Boris\'s Johnson:

Good article

Reminds me of sitting in a snow hole on my winter mountain leader eating packet pasta whilst the next hole over feasted on creamy smoked salmon with potatoes and green beans, a night of regret!

Paul Sagar 21 May 2021

What's wrong with a bagel and a tin of mackerel?

jimtitt 21 May 2021

Boil in the bag rice and a deep-frozen curry from your favourite takeaway.

Reach>Talent 21 May 2021
In reply to jimtitt:

> Boil in the bag rice and a deep-frozen curry from your favourite takeaway.

The 2 minute microwave rice saves on gas usage (2-3 minutes in a pan with 50ml of water), so you can get a couple of extra coffees out of a gas cylinder. 

jimtitt 21 May 2021
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Hmm, something new to try! Fuel use doesn't bother me much though, I'm a motorbike camper and use a petrol cooker. With boil in the bag I chuck the bag of curry in to thaw and warm through if it's still a bit frozen. Have to try the rice though, didn't know it existed.

Purple 22 May 2021

Ace article - thanks! And in other good news, dehydrated food doesn’t have to be the ‘mush’ mentioned at the start of this thread. If you’re looking to buy some dehy, allow me to recommend ‘Firepot Foods’ dehydrated meals. I have no connection to the business - just sharing the love by bigging up great products from a great company. Delicious, nutritious, healthy, ethical. The real deal. Try ‘em. I’ve had the Orzo pasta bolognaise this evening. 

cacheson 31 May 2021

Nice one Fliss

Babika 31 May 2021

Thank you! Great article 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...