New shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chewie65 13 May 2021

just bought a new pair and in a rush thought, yep there good. 
now I find that on one toe only, they are uncomfortable, in fact hurt.
getting them in the morning before feet had expanded wasn’t a good idea, let alone trying them immediately on a Boulder problem so I can’t return them . 

Is there anyway of stretching the big toe out a bit without wearing them. 

Boomer Doomer 13 May 2021
In reply to Chewie65:

Just wear them for a while whilst watching the telly or something. They should stretch out a bit or at least mould to your feet. My current shoes (5.10 Anasazi) were painful for a short while, now I can wear them all day long, in fact most of my shoes have been like that.

OP Chewie65 13 May 2021
In reply to Boomer Doomer:

That’s like spending an evening with the mrs, painful 🤣🤣 I’ve used 2 different brands til now and they just fit. 
oh well, no pain no gain 😩

Tigger 13 May 2021
In reply to Chewie65:

Of they're leather you could try aoaking them in warm - tepid water and then climbing in them, worked a treat for my Miura VS. I've also put shoes one and used a hair dryer to heat up painful spots then let them cool whilst still wearing them, it worked to an extent but wasn't a miracle cure. Careful not to cause delamination by getting them too hot though.

wbo2 14 May 2021
In reply to Chewie65:

Try wearing them with a plastic bag on each foot.  You can wear them at home, or better, do a couple routes.  Then try them without,  they'll already be stretched a bit and should make life a lot easier 

Luke01 15 May 2021
In reply to Chewie65:

Try wearing them in the bath, then dry them out slowly, periodically putting them on for a few mins as they dry (if they dry too fast, like on a hot radiator, they can go hard and be worse). 

carl dawson 16 May 2021

At home, wear thin socks + plastic bags + watch TV until in agony. Repeat. Next day, try without socks. If still terrible, sell them. If almost OK then run over the front half of the shoes (carefully) with front wheels of car. It may destroy the shoe but it’s always worked for me.

In reply to Chewie65:

Saw this video on breaking in new climbing shoes, I haven’t tried any of them but have had success with shoe stretchers:

https://www.epictv.com/media/series-home/climbing-daily/230997?episode=6083...

Ian Parsons 16 May 2021
In reply to carl dawson:

< If almost OK then run over the front half of the shoes (carefully) with front wheels of car. >

Just checking: do you need somebody else to drive the car, or do you take the shoes off for this procedure?

bouldery bits 17 May 2021
In reply to Chewie65:

Wear them round the house. Plastic bags on feet can help. 

ianstevens 17 May 2021
In reply to Chewie65:

In addition to the meeting/drying methods people have listed, you can also freeze them. Fill you shoes with bags of water, and bung them in the freezer overnight.

DaveHK 17 May 2021
In reply to Chewie65:

If all else fails and you don't want to /can't sell them a couple of cuts in the rubber can relieve pressure points.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...