ARTICLE: Hill Running Saved my Life

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Through running, Darren Clarkson found a new and unexpected response to PTSD, and a way to face down his demons. Within a year he has gone from a painful 500m to days of over 50km - but the numbers are just a means to an end. "Running is a fine teacher" he says. 

Read more

Simon2005 11 May 2021
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Thank you for the article. Even though it brought tears to my eyes you have also given me something very positive. Cheers.

Well written and very moving, I'm sure many reading this will have had some very dark times in their lives and found some passion that has helped them through. Others may be going through dark times now and find your writting helpful. Thank you.

markvaughan 13 May 2021

Thank you for sharing this little part of your story! Really moving and thought provoking. I also love the sweet simplicity of left to right. 

beardy mike 13 May 2021

Fantastic article. Raw, real and something many of us need to hear.

climberchristy 15 May 2021

Great article. Both sad and uplifting at the same time. Thanks Darren for sharing such a moving account. A couple of lines really resonated with me.

1. "It wasn't much - but it was mine". Yes, that sense of pride and ownership of an achievement is very special. For example, my marathon PB, or my hardest ultra, are "not much" compared to many more talented and younger runners but they are mine and I worked hard for them and they will remain with me.

2. "Running is a great teacher". Yes, through running, you can learn so much about yourself and where your limits lie. And in my experience, you learn that you are stronger than you thought you were and your limits are far greater than you thought they could be.  

Gordonbp 15 May 2021

Great story.

Are you ex-forces?

Are you on Twitter/Facebook etc?

Paul at work 16 May 2021
In reply to Gordonbp:

Yes Darren is on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/dclarksonking

Gordonbp 19 May 2021
In reply to Paul at work:

Ta!

philipivan 19 May 2021
In reply to Gordonbp:

He even has a little podcast. A fine member of the community. 

http://purelandexpeditions.podbean.com/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...