Portable camping heater

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mancclimb 10 May 2021

Does anyone know of good portable heaters that would be useful on a family camping trip? I'm particularly looking for heaters that would work off a USB, if possible.

Hooo 10 May 2021
In reply to Mancclimb:

You're not going to find a heater that works off USB! Even a fast charging USB port puts out a few watts at most. A tiny little heater will put out at least 500W.

Running heaters off batteries is a non-starter. You either need a mains hookup or gas / some other fuel.

Caralynh 10 May 2021
In reply to Mancclimb:

We have one that runs off gas canisters (only used in big family tent) but tbh don't really use it. Wake up, stay snuggled in bag until getting up to light stove for cuppa. Stove heats tent. Go out for the day, come back, light stove for cuppa or cooking. Stove heats tent. If cold, back into sleeping bags!

gethin_allen 10 May 2021
In reply to Mancclimb:

In a largish tent a gas lantern can be a good way to warm things up in the evenings.

OP Mancclimb 10 May 2021
In reply to Mancclimb:

Thanks. All valid points. Gas is an option buy looking for something a bit more eco friendly. Ordinarily we wouldn't take one but we now have a baby boy so it was an idea we have floated.

GrahamD 10 May 2021
In reply to Mancclimb:

The best way to keep babys warm is to snuggle them between you.

Hooo 10 May 2021
In reply to Mancclimb:

If you don't have mains electricity then gas is the most eco friendly option TBH, unless you consider a wood burner to be more eco? There was a thread on wood burners in tents recently, general opinion was that it was a very silly idea.

With a baby it changes it a bit though. When are you planning to run the heater? If the baby isn't snuggled with you then you'd have to run it all night. I don't know of any heaters that would be safe for that in a tent.

ablackett 11 May 2021
In reply to Mancclimb:

Most sites now do electric hook up, you could use a small oil filled radiator.

ablackett 11 May 2021
In reply to Mancclimb:

I’ve got a couple of baby sized vango sleeping bags my 2 have grown out of now, that’s probably your starting point. If interested let me know and we can agree a price.

PaulTanton 11 May 2021
In reply to Mancclimb:

Is this a wind up? 

Lankyman 11 May 2021
In reply to Mancclimb:

Fart lighting? Good for a laugh and the environment. Can also be a lead in to all sorts of science-based questions for the kids.

Route Adjuster 11 May 2021
In reply to PaulTanton:

> Is this a wind up? 

My thoughts too.  Camping is what it is, plan for conditions that you could reasonably expect to encounter which to me means more (or different) clothing rather than gadgets.

OP Mancclimb 14 May 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

Thank you. That's kind of you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...