Kids full body harness (or seat plus chest?) recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AAG353 06 May 2021

Decided we should prob get second harness to make life easier, I've searched forum and read reviews here but not much recent stuff.  In an ideal world we'd go to a shop and try on a couple but too far to drive so will have to be mail order.  Interested in any advice, suggestions etc.  Although its a second harness exploring options for both - as exisiting harness (old no frills type) is not great fit.  If it's any help kids are 8 (26kg and 130cm medium build), and almost 6 (18kg 113cm, slim) both are on the smaller side for age.  Outdoor climbing,  so will be going over several layers of clothing at times; low grades .  Thinking still need full body harness - eldest is definitely top heavy and less confident at height.  Looks like option for eldest would be something like DMM tom kitten or a seat harness plus chest harness like petzl do- I'm wondering if latter would keep tie in point higher and feel more secure for him?  Youngest is pure muscle but very narrow - it needs to be a good fit on shoulders at least.

Caralynh 06 May 2021
In reply to AAG353:

My nearly 7yr old daughter has used the DMM Tomkitten full body harness since she was 3. She's about 120cm and slim and the harness works fine for her. Only a couple of days ago I was getting her to fall out of a tall tree to test it (ran a top rope off a high branch!) and she was happily supported and laughing. 

We got it in Needlesports where she also tried the Petzl one with bears on (Oustiti??) and another that may or may not have been from Vaude. Anyway, Tomkitten fit best and seemed to be more adjuustsble - they reckoned until approx age 10-11.

OP AAG353 06 May 2021
In reply to Caralynh:

that sounds good - will last us a good while plus it's the adjustment we need esp with smallest as he is so narrow - the only float that fits him swimming is a tiny pink one that is too small for the 3-4year olds in the previous class!

Neil Williams 06 May 2021
In reply to Caralynh:

We use DMM Tomkittens at our Scout wall for smaller kids and we've never had issues with them, would certainly stick with them.

In reply to AAG353:

My son was just 7 and medium built first time he top roped and rope climbed in a BD Wiz Kid seat harness. I made sure the harness waist belt was tight above his hips so he would not slip out in case he inverted which he never did.

OP AAG353 06 May 2021
In reply to Stefan Jacobsen:

It's an option - as we could rig a sling chest harness until he's more confident as he's very definitely top heavy (adult sized head) and nervous on climbs.  He's climbed with a seat harness but was very reluctant to lean back - the full body was more successful.

mike123 06 May 2021
In reply to AAG353: having used offerings from all the usual suspects I think the best “in class “are the various edelrid ones . The fulL body is the fraggle . It’s easy to get on and off , easy to tie into vand very well made . I’m not sure what the sit harness is called but it fits well and is also very well made . I had two fraggles , I definitely sold one and haven’t seen the other for a bit ( I may have lent it to somebody ) if I find it I’ll stick it up for sale on here. won’t be  much . 

OP AAG353 06 May 2021
In reply to mike123:

one review I read said fraggle only fitted smaller kids - what's your experience?  

chris_r 06 May 2021
In reply to AAG353:

My 136cm tall (27kg) 7 year old is right at the limit of her DMM Tomkitten. She can still get into it, but it's tight on her shoulders. I bought her a new Petzl Macchu sit harness last week.

Her 5 year old sister has the Simond full body harness from Decathlon. I like the way it doesn't need the rope to hold it closed (as it has a single central tie in). The "check /ready to climb" indicator on the back might work well when she's a little older - encouraging kids to check each other's knots and belayer. 

OP AAG353 06 May 2021
In reply to chris_r:

that's interesting about the tom kitten. useful to hear about simond one as couldn't find many reviews and it's a good price!

Steve Claw 07 May 2021
In reply to AAG353:

As others have said the DMM Tom Kitten is great and worked for mine from 3 years to about 7. Its much better and more adjustable than the Petzl Simba.

However once my (tall 140cm) eldest got to 7, I moved him to a normal sit harness, and will add in a sling chest harness if I feel its needed.

ivanwindrush 07 May 2021
In reply to AAG353:

I have a couple of kids of similar age. I found the Edelrid Finn II XXS to be a good option for a very small first seat harness from ages 7 onwards. 

When they were smaller they started with a Petzl Simba full body harness, but this rapidly made  them quite grumpy and they would easily take it off when not climbing as it needs the rope or a karabiner to secure it. I guess they wanted to look like the other climbers but maybe if you are in an outdoor setting they might be easier to manage.

OP AAG353 07 May 2021
In reply to AAG353:

thanks for replies - looks like a sit harness plus chest might give us more long term use than a second full body but will do some measuring.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...