Obligatory guides for trekking peaks in Nepal

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Does anyone have experience of doing trekking peaks independently in Nepal? I understand that you need a guide as part of the permit condition.  Is this strictly necessary or can you 'do a deal' with the trekking agency organising the permit?

crayefish 03 May 2021
In reply to Full moon addict:

No personal experience, but from what I've heard from people who've been there... you definitely need to hire the guide.  Thats non negotiable.  However, many guides don't object to not coming along with you (so long as their paid).

So in essence, you can pay the guide to have a holiday

When we did tent peak (that was 20 years ago mind), we hired a guide who was also happy to carry a load up to Annapurna base camp but go no higher than that. We also hired a porter to base camp. They were happy to wait in a tea house at base camp for 5 days while we climbed. This wasn't a big expense for us between three and made our walk in more pleasurable. Lighter loads and someone with local knowledge and contacts in the tea houses.

andrewm1000 04 May 2021
In reply to Full moon addict: yes the permits name the guide. With COVID-19 since last year the agencies organising your trip have several extra things to comply with and act on your behalf for the whole trip and not just permit part eg arranging your visa and they must book your quarantine accommodation etc. I was there Dec to mid Jan 2021 and with the upsurge now you can expect this to be the case even through to 2022. So independent isn’t really possible. Also if you are alone is hard to do any of the peaks you mention anyway because of the gear you need to carry and unless you are experienced at altitude it’s not advisable. For my Lobuche trip earlier this year myself and climbing partner/guide and one porter carried the gear between us but it’s a lot if you include fixed ropes, tent, cooking equipment plus own gear. As an add on relating to your other thread:  I usually (go each year) take trail shoes, light hiking boots with a bit more ankle support and if snow plus double boots. Always have a porter and if climbing, not trekking, am with my climbing partner/guide. Last time on Mera I wore my Oly Mons triple boots, it can be very cold even November and every couple of years I’ve met people descending and in trouble with frost bite. I was planning another trip for this month but have cancelled it and doubt it’s possible until end year / 2022 now. 

Thanks for all the replies. The plan is to go in September - December next year so things should be a lot easier re Covid by then. The plan is not to use fixed ropes and to go as lightweight as possible,

Guide and a porter as far as your base camp will make the first few days a lot easier and more enjoyable, help you build fitness while aclimatisiing and help the local economy.

Burly1973 12 May 2021
In reply to Full moon addict: there are checkpoints along certain routes with army persons there so it’s a risk if you don’t take a guide. Or you sneak around like a sniper 😎

freeheel47 15 May 2021

I don't know and haven't been to Nepal since the 1990's. Back then you needed permits for peaks- but some people just had trekking permits and climbed illegally. 

Perhaps that is a bit foolish / selfish.

Nepal is a really poor country and they need money.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...