SN15 History made or RUD ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Morning, 

It's SN15's turn up on the world stage possibly from today onwards .

Now will it stick the landing or are we in for another spectacular RUD ?

https://nextspaceflight.com/starship/

youtube.com/watch?v=sTA0GTgFn5E&

youtube.com/watch?v=tYZaaz8UbRE&

Apparently lots of upgrades to these next models so fingers crossed.

AP

In reply to Archmagos_Dominus:

Bump.  

Maybe????

Neston Climber 03 May 2021

Let's hope we can at least see what happens this time! Good luck to the team over there. 

wintertree 03 May 2021

I missed this thread on Friday.

I’ve been enjoying the Texas sunrises on Nerdle.

This could be the one.

wintertree 03 May 2021

Not rockets but aviation related.  I've finally got round to hooking up an RTL-SDR unit with a 1090 MHz notch filter and some ADS-B code.  I've started putting some software on top of it all to predict the point of closest approach to the Wintertree bunker along with the time.  I'm impressed at the range of it - the generic antenna is in a west facing window and can hear from flights all the way over the lakes; I'll get a proper antenna up in to the rafters.

Next up is a go at triangulating the cloud base with a pair of cameras to squelch anything not likely to be visible.

Presumably Starship is going to have to carry a transponder for Earth to Earth flights (if you believe in those), so I've got a few years yet to get an Alt-Az mount in to track it with a decent zoom lens before it starts making overflights on the way to Europe...

Post edited at 09:19

Tom Valentine 03 May 2021
In reply to wintertree:

At the state of current supply in the UK you might well need to wait  that few  years to be able to buy any sort of alt az mount

Been waiting to replace mine since well before Christmas.

wintertree 03 May 2021
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Interesting, I had no idea there was a shortage!  I was hoping to make a suitably low-fi one using some stepper motors as I won’t need the smooth tracking of astrophotography.  

Bump ,bang or pop ? 

wintertree 05 May 2021

Why doesn’t “fast forward” work on live streams?!?

In reply to wintertree:

Why don't live streams live stream...? I'm getting YouTube buffering...

In reply to captain paranoia:

This is going to be a late one if it goes today.

wintertree 05 May 2021
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

Missed it.

Flew.  Landed. Having a bit of a fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9eoubnO-pE&

In reply to wintertree:

It seemed a much shorter flight than the others, but maybe that was because it was out of view most of the time.

Great to see it on its legs, upright, and now looks like they've got the fire out.

I suppose it can still topple, or explode...

wintertree 05 May 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

Looks like they did the flip to vertical higher up and came in more gently for the landing; deeper throttling on these engines?  I thought the engine bay looked a lot smarter as well on the video.

Speaking of videos, a lot more problems with the feeds; also some  with an IP address showing at times; I wonder if it was coming via Starlink?  They got permission to fly an antenna on the rocket...

In reply to wintertree:

New generation of engine. You can see the turbomachinery has moved and the plumbing is very different. And they're green! Seemed to gimbal a lot further too.

Not convinced it flipped any higher. We'll see from the video edits that will probably come out today from nsf et al, but it would be really detrimental to lengthen the landing burn any more.

Edited from SpaceX

youtube.com/watch?v=unKvMC3Y1kI&

wintertree 06 May 2021

Ars reckon it flipped higher - https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/05/spacex-successfully-lands-a-starshi...

But the first views from the ground made clear that the maneuver was happening at a higher altitude than in previous attempts that ended in explosions.

Have they not managed to get video off their GoPros yet...?

Post edited at 13:56
In reply to wintertree:

Views from the ground were solid cloud.
If anything I thought it looked lower.... Would be interesting to see decent footage.

Also looks like the 3rd engine never relit.

Post edited at 14:38

NSF's big edit is out. Probably the best we'll get.
youtube.com/watch?v=BYSGlc6THJ8&

Great view of the landing thrust vectoring on MarsCam. And BocaChicaGalCam2.

Post edited at 18:13
In reply to wintertree:

Have a look at the state of the legs in this youtube.com/watch?v=AlVNyVKQwc4&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...