Areas of Special Protection (AoSPs)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 subtle 28 Apr 2021

So, one of the local islands near me is designated an Areas of Special Protection (AoSPs) under the Wildlife and Countryside Act - am I allowed to kayak out to it and set foot on it for a lunch stop etc. or do I just have to paddle round it and come back?

Its designated a AoSP is  for breeding seabirds and waterfowl and winter grounds.

I will be respectful when there, just fancied it as a destination, but also fancied a wee rest when there as opposed to just turn around and come back type trip - just don't fancy landing on it and then, upon return, being met by the local constabulary

Doug 28 Apr 2021
In reply to subtle:

Do you mean 'Special Protection Areas' which come from the EU's 1979 Birds Directive  ? These have been kept despite Brexit (at least for the moment). SPAs cover quite a bit of Britain including large areas such as the Cairngorms & most can be visited & strict regulations on visiting on foot, by canoe  etc are fairly unusual. But if its important for breeding birds maybe a visit during the breeding season isn't a good idea.

OP subtle 28 Apr 2021
In reply to Doug:

Is It is designated as an Area of Special Protection (AoSP) for breeding seabirds and waterfowl and winter grounds. AoSPs are created under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 with the aim of preventing disturbance or destruction of birds. They replaced Bird Sanctuary Orders (Protection of Birds Act 1967). ????????

Would be waiting until further into the summer so young birds would all have left the nests etc. 

Doug 28 Apr 2021
In reply to subtle:

OK, its common to confuse the various designations & SPAs are much more common

Most AoSPs are also SSSI &/or SPA (but not all). For each site there is a 'order' (eg https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1995/2876/made ) which sets out the restrictions, often a ban on visiting between certain dates. For Scotland theres a summary in a RSPB publication (https://www.rspb.org.uk/globalassets/downloads/documents/positions/wild-bir...) - see page 39.

Post edited at 10:13
 Bulls Crack 28 Apr 2021
In reply to subtle:

AoSPs basically became subsumed into SPA's

OP subtle 28 Apr 2021
In reply to Doug:

Thanks - Page 39 nails it - my proposed destination is prohibited at all times, as was the other island I was thinking of.

Oh well, perhaps a wee paddle out to, and round, would be ok, just not a landing.

Thanks again - UKC is a great font of knowledge!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...