REVIEW: Five Ten Hiangle, Hiangle LV and Hiangle Pro

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 06 Apr 2021
The Hiangle are an excellent all-rounder, balancing edging power + support with smearing sensitivity

Rob Greenwood looks at the three recent models in Five Ten's Hiangle range - the Hiangle, Hiangle LV and Hiangle Pro. The latter, in particular, is a very different beast from the others, he says. But which is his favourite?

Read more
 gekitsu 07 Apr 2021
In reply to UKC Gear:

thanks for this review – good to hear of the finer differences between the models of this line. especially how the pro’s adaptations change its fit. that’s good knowledge.

i am a bit puzzled, though, when you write ‘It is, as you'd expect from a shoe of this nature, highly assymetrical in its profile’. when the shots of the shoes’ soles show that the toebox points pretty much in the direction of the line from the heel forward, and its front isn’t even shaped in a way that would make it look more inward-pointing. maybe i’m misunderstanding what asymmetry means, but on a scale from tarantula to drago, their top–down view seem to fall way more towards the former than to the latter.

In reply to gekitsu:

> i am a bit puzzled, though, when you write ‘It is, as you'd expect from a shoe of this nature, highly assymetrical in its profile’. when the shots of the shoes’ soles show that the toebox points pretty much in the direction of the line from the heel forward, and its front isn’t even shaped in a way that would make it look more inward-pointing. maybe i’m misunderstanding what asymmetry means, but on a scale from tarantula to drago, their top–down view seem to fall way more towards the former than to the latter.

Funnily enough I wrote this review a fair few months ago now and had to re-read it to remember quite what I'd written. Upon reading that particular section I do wonder quite what I was on about, because as you say - they're not highly asymmetrical, but are asymmetrical (if that makes sense).

Alongside the Hiangle I've been using the new Scarpa Boostics, which are the very definition of asymmetric, and I've attached a photo of the two side by side, with a Drago LV just to their right, just to compare.

I'll get the wording updated so that it's clearer. 

Post edited at 08:40

gekitsu 08 Apr 2021
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

definitely makes sense! and your photo makes the point apparent as well – i don’t think i’ve noticed their sideways curve quite as much on the usual product photos.

thanks, rob!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...