Rockfax Virtual Runner System

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Campbell42 02 Apr 2021

Surely the Rockfax Virtual Runner System must be the most elaborate April Fools Day ever devised sent the BBC 's spaghetti tree scam.

In reply to Campbell42:

Thanks but it didn't actually take that much work. It did occur to me that we could have done a bit more however I think any video of someone using it would have shown up the huge flaw in that fumbling for your phone while hanging on with one hand is way more difficult than choosing a runner would ever be!

Alan

beardy mike 02 Apr 2021
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

A serious suggestion for you, could you design an app which would visually check a knots topology to ensure it's been tied correctly? Might be some way of pulling in revenue from rope manufacturers who want to be associated with it. Had thought about trying to work it out myself but I have zero clues about apps and programming and well, life...

In reply to beardy mike:

> A serious suggestion for you, could you design an app which would visually check a knots topology to ensure it's been tied correctly? Might be some way of pulling in revenue from rope manufacturers who want to be associated with it. Had thought about trying to work it out myself but I have zero clues about apps and programming and well, life...

Oddly, a non-climber acquaintance of mine contacted me yesterday having skim-read the Rockfax VRS item, worried that we need to make sure we covered ourselves from a liability point of view. Whilst I obviously delighted in pointing out the date to them and precipitating a facepalm at their end, the point remains. An app like our joke one, or your knot checker, would come with serious liability questions.

That said, I don't think I would ever want to make a knot checker. That sort of thing is better left for people to get right themselves!

Alan

Max Hangs 02 Apr 2021

Ha!

Yeah, I have worked with software long enough to know this is a bad idea ;D

beardy mike 03 Apr 2021

Well OK, that’s a fair comment. How about a built in video demonstration of how to tie them as part of the app? That leaves it squarely in the climbers corner to get it right... maybe a service made in conjunction with the BMC or BMG?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...