Mountain Equipment Ogre pack (42L)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bouldery bits 26 Mar 2021

Hi,

As I am doing my Summer ML, I apparently need to move in to the world of slightly bigger packs. I usually pack pretty light and happily do multi day trips with a 30L. 

However, I understand that as a leader, equipment requirements are different (You know, a First aid kit that isn't just gaffa tape and some paracetamol) and I will likely need a big bag. 

I like simple (because I am) and wondered if anyone had any long term experience with these packs? 

The UKC review - https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/rucksacks/medium/mountain_equipment_ogre_33... 

is really helpful but would love some longer term insight / opinion on the 42 ideally.

The reason I like the look of this is I bought an ME Goblin 24, which seems to have very similar shoulder straps, which has been coming with me for bike commutes and other little adventures and I am very pleased with it. For me, the minimal padding is really comfortable. I know that 'trekking' specific packs exist but this seems like it will do everything I want. I think. 

Post edited at 21:45
 mcawle 26 Mar 2021
In reply to bouldery bits:

I have one but haven't used it much. Replying anyway in case it's of some use. In a sentence - nice pack but definitely aimed for climbing and maybe not my first choice for all day carry such as I believe you'd be doing for ML.

All I've done with mine is carry half a rack, a half rope + bivvy gear up to Dow Crag in autumn between lockdowns. Wasn't taking any particular pains to travel light. It's well made, feels bomber, pretty spacious, however like all such packs I'd say it's more of a mountaineering/climbing pack first and all-day load bearing pack second, i.e. it's not hideous under load but I'm sure there are far more comfortable options out there.

I'm happy with it, as I bought it on the assumption that I would only be fully loaded on the walk in, but if I were thinking about something for all day carry of weight including leader and camping gear I'd personally look at stuff that's a bit beefier. The Osprey Mutant and Deuter Guide packs have good reputations for being shaped and specced well for climbing but comfortable with bigger loads.

Like I say, I haven't used it for heavy loads over long distance, but having spent the best part of 12 hours walking out to the road from Mt Aspiring in NZ with a massively overloaded 35L lightweight alpine pack (which was admittedly lighter than the Ogre) carrying at a guess 15-20kg I can safely say that a beefier pack for load carrying can be a good idea for your shoulders' sake...

Post edited at 22:43
 salad fingers 27 Mar 2021

I'd echo mcawle. I don't find stripped-back climbing/alpine sacks particularly comfy for lugging a load, which is pretty much what the ML will involve. Probably slowly and in poor weather! I have a Patagonia Ascentionist (same kind of thing as the Ogre) which I rate highly for more technical stuff, but I nearly always end up taking my Osprey Mutant 52 on big cragging days or overnighting - carries a load supremely well but still light and unfussy. 52l may sound quite big, but pretty decent size for poor/cold weather backpacking when you'll be carrying more. I also dislike over-stuffed small bags with crap hanging out or stuffed under the lid - they often feel uncomfortable and are a faff.

Slarti B 27 Mar 2021

I bought an Ogre 42 last summer and used it for 10 days mountaineering and climbing in the Alps and a couple of long weekends climbing in the UK.   I really liked it, comfortable, light, unfussy, packed down well for climbing.

But..   if you are looking for a bigger pack for summer ML not sure this is the right one as it doesn't expand very well.  If I am carrying a lot of gear I tend to use my  old style Blue Ice Yeti 30+.  It has a floating hood and a higher neck so I can get a lot more in without having to dangle stuff on the outside which I hate. 

I used the Orge 33 for a bit. It’s a great design but ME used a cheap foam in the shoulder straps which snapped after not much. I returned it to the shop where I purchased for a refund. The Tupilak packs use better foam, but they’re much more expensive. 

I would echo what others have said that a light mountaineering sack might not be the best option for doing your ML. I used a 30 litre days sack on the first couple of days, and a 50 litre sack for the exped. Some folk will use smaller bags, and some will literally carry the kitchen sink. I’d aim to go lightish, particularly on assessment, as otherwise you’ll get unnecessarily tired. That said if it’s unseasonably cold or wet, it’s worth going a bit heavier, in terms of waterproof clothing, warm stuff, and food.

I would also recommend not going too small. Sure you can get everything for 2-3 days into a 25 lite sack, that you carefully packed in a warm living room. Re packing that bag when it’s 5 degree, windy and raining, isn’t gonna be much fun. Also what happens if someone in your group is tired/injured and you need to carry some of their kit. 

I would use whatever sack you have already for the day walking part of the assessment/training, and get a 50 litre bag with a removable/extendable lid for the expedition. You should be able to get everything into that no problems. 

The Alpkit Ibex is a great sack (very similar to the classic Pod black ice). I used one on the exped on my a Guides’ winter test, and it was great. Another good option is an Aiguille Alpine Zyphr. These sort of sacks are great all rounders and are perfect for days out sea cliff climbing, where you need to cart around big racks, absiel ropes, and a big packed lunch. 

https://eu.alpkit.com/products/ibex

https://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/product/rucksacks-bags/climbing-alpineruck...

Good luck with the ML. You’ll have a blast. 

Tom

OP bouldery bits 27 Mar 2021

Thank you all - sounds like it's back to the drawing board as it won't be right for the job. This website can be so useful!

Cheers,

BB

OP bouldery bits 27 Mar 2021
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Thanks, Tom. This is some really good advice. I will look at both packs and do a bit more finding out. 

I'm really excited to do the course and improve my own Mountain skills and leadership skills. 

BB

TechnoJim 27 Mar 2021

Just echoing the above really. I've got the Ogre 42, think it's a great sack, but I wouldn't want to fill it up with loads of tut and yomp about with it for extended periods.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...