REVIEW: Camelbak MultiBev 500ml

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 26 Mar 2021
The MultiBev in use on a particularly cold day

Combining a small thermos flask with an insulated cup, the MultiBev is a sleek bit of design, says Rob Greenwood. But is it really much of an advance for the hot drink fan? 

Read more
 TobyA 28 Mar 2021
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Could the reason for the cup not be that if you drink straight from the bottle you scald your mouth? At least for the first few hours after putting your coffee in? A standard flask has a lid-cup normally for this reason (and I fully recommend the slim 500 ml ones from IKEA for less than 5 quid/Euro - at least they were when I bought my two a few years and 10 years ago).

In reply to TobyA:

You could, but given that the cup is also insulated it doesn't cool down that quickly, so there wouldn't be too much difference (a bit, but not a lot - particularly with the lid). Throughout the last few months of use I've bascially used either/or, because they don't make a great deal of sense together for the reasons outlined within the review. Both are incredibly well made and work really well, but when combined - I just fail to see the benefit.

Whilst I haven't used the IKEA model, that is the sort of design I was referencing as a more logical and functional design (i.e. a long flask w/ small cup). To me that style makes far more sense. If you don't want that, just get a bottle - simple...

The fact that the MultiBev costs ten times more makes it a challenging sell.

TobyA 29 Mar 2021
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

That makes sense! So it has a hidden lid for the cup, which keeps whatever is in the cup nearly as warm as what is in the flask. Yeah, a bit odd.

What are the odds that the designers were thinking of people (website designers or similar 'creatives' in Shoreditch or Brooklyn presumably!) carrying their coffee into work and then putting some of the coffee into the cup, putting the lid on it, and sipping from that for the next hour or so as they get on on with their work on their big iMacs? (And yes I am just jealous that I'm not young and fabulous... Anymore.)

In reply to TobyA:

Funnily enough, the comment I received whilst using it at the crag was exactly that - "it'd sell like hot cakes in London".

Perhaps that's it, maybe it is designed with a more urban user in mind? Whilst it's clearly suitable for the outdoors, there are - at least in my view - other products that are arguably more efficient in design, functional in terms of usage, and competitive in terms of price.

Basemetal 29 Mar 2021
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

I'd maybe forgive it if the relative capacities of the flask and cup made more sense. 3:1  or even 2:1 would provide for decanting from a hot flask into an insulated cup during a day at a desk or on a commute.

But 500:350 is just plain annoying

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...