Camera bag suggestions please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 25 Mar 2021

I'd appreciate any suggestions for a camera bag to hold a mirrorless, few lenses, batteries and stuff.

Preferably hard wearing and does not scream camera bag please mug me.

Post edited at 15:15
 Blue Straggler 25 Mar 2021
In reply to The Lemming:

Backpack style or satchel style? What is "stuff"? A flask and sandwiches and cagoule? (not taking the mickey here, just wondering how much capacity you might be after)
When I get home I'll take some pics of what I have, you can stuff lots into it but when you don't, it's not like it feels all baggy and oversized. Slightly random mini back pack I bought in a clearout at an LCE as a "standby" until I worked out what I really want, so as not to spend bigger money on the wrong sort of thing...and I ended up perfectly happy with what I bought. Especially now that I don't seem to be taking many photos of anything at all  

MisterPiggy 25 Mar 2021
In reply to The Lemming:

Domke.

I've had two Domke bags for 30 years and they're both going strong.  The F2 (I think it's called) holds two SLR bodies, four lenses and two flashes. When needed I could add a tripod. The extra pad for the shoulder strap is worth the extra money. I've also got the FX2 (I think...) - holds one body, a couple of lenses, flash and bits an' bobs.

Mekko got the rights to make Domke-patterned bags and though they're not as long lasting - only 10 years - they're cheaper.

I used all these bags on overseas work trips to dodgy, dusty and often wet places, and never lost/broke anything.

Have fun bag shopping - as fleeces, is there such a thing as 'too many'? 😉

Tony Buckley 25 Mar 2021
In reply to The Lemming:

A Lowe Alpine Spacecase 7 litre does the job for me.  Can also function for other purposes too.

T.

nikkormat 25 Mar 2021
In reply to The Lemming:

I have a Domke F3X and am very happy with it. It takes a DSLR and three primes easily, and I can fit in a second body at a squeeze. If I am only carrying one body and lens, I use an old Finnish army respirator bag.

OP The Lemming 25 Mar 2021
In reply to The Lemming:

I'm liking the Domke bags

youtube.com/watch?v=YxsOh6pi2yA&

And it seems like a good companion for my Lowpro Passoprt Sling iii.

I'm just a bit worried that pickpockets can get inside the Domke bags.

jethro kiernan 25 Mar 2021
In reply to The Lemming:

Might have a billingham bag that would fit the bill if your interested I’ll see if I can find it and send you a pic 

In reply to Blue Straggler:

My Dura Gadget little backpack 

In reply to The Lemming:

> I'd appreciate any suggestions for a camera bag to hold a mirrorless, few lenses, batteries and stuff.

> Preferably hard wearing and does not scream camera bag please mug me.

With measurement 

a pretty unrealistic carrying scenario but this is where I currently also store the dSLR kit so it’s a nice pic to show just how much stupid stuff you can stuff in there at once. Canon EOS 600D with 24mm prime mounted plus 5 more lenses and external flash, and batteries and charger 

mirrorless with 30mm prime macro (bit bulkier than the usual pancake kit lens) and two of the Canon lenses just because they were handy, a mini tripod in the bottom and a cheap cagoule loosely stuffed into top.

The front (or back?) zipped pocket still free for Mars bars and dog treats 

OP The Lemming 25 Mar 2021
In reply to jethro kiernan:

> Might have a billingham bag that would fit the bill if your interested I’ll see if I can find it and send you a pic 

Don't think I could afford it. 😲

In reply to The Lemming:

> Don't think I could afford it. 😲

My Billingham bag was free! I was buying a few basic second SLRs for the uni photo society in 1999 and the guy said "hang on I'll get you a bag" and I genuinely thought he was just off to get a couple of sturdy carrier bags to double-bag the stuff, and he gave us a (used) Billingham holdall. This somehow didn't make it into the uni photo society's inventory. 

nikkormat 26 Mar 2021
In reply to The Lemming:

> I'm just a bit worried that pickpockets can get inside the Domke bags.

Certainly the F3X is not secure in that respect; it's more designed for quick access to gear than security.

jethro kiernan 26 Mar 2021
In reply to The Lemming:

It’s not the expensive range it’s from the “basic” range 😏

https://billingham.co.uk/products/basic-range

Dark-Cloud 26 Mar 2021
In reply to The Lemming:

You wanting backpack or messenger ?

Personally I will never figure out how taking a 30L pack that would be £80 at a push and putting some compartments in it can transform it into a £350 bag, as somebody told, the hobby tax more than likely

I am also on the hunt for a bag but i want to be able to carry a decent amount of gear too so am looking at the F-Stop range, for budget Amazon basics look good for the money too

Tringa 26 Mar 2021
In reply to The Lemming:

The Domke bag looks as if it would be hard wearing but to me it also screams, "camera bag please mug me' from the rooftops.

How about foam inserts that would fit into a 'normal' rucksack or bag? There are plenty of inserts of different sizes on Ebay. The only drawback I see is making sure inserts would fit the sack/bag.

Dave

jethro kiernan 26 Mar 2021
In reply to Tringa:

Lowe pro nova bags can be had of ebay second hand they make a great rucksack insert

OP The Lemming 26 Mar 2021
In reply to Tringa:

> The Domke bag looks as if it would be hard wearing but to me it also screams, "camera bag please mug me' from the rooftops.

Yes, and that is why I'm conflicted. My Lowpro Passport sling iii, is great, it does not look like a camera bag and it ticks most of my boxes. However it can be a pain in the arse trying to find everything in the bag with just one compartment.

Things can get a bit cramp with a camera, couple of lenses,filters and shotgun mic. Its great because it can be zipped up and slung across my belly so bad boys don't realise its full of shiny things.

I'd much prefer a shoulder/satchel style bag than a rucsac. I'm quite happy with a rucsac and rummaging around inside.

OP The Lemming 26 Mar 2021
In reply to jethro kiernan:

> Lowe pro nova bags can be had of ebay second hand they make a great rucksack insert

I'll check them out. Cheers

Marek 26 Mar 2021
In reply to The Lemming:

I've never found the concept of 'a' camera bag very convincing. OK, I've accumulated a variety of camera bodies and lenses, but I *never* carry all of them at the same time. And which ones I carry depends very much on what I'm aiming to photograph (birds, whales, landscape...) and how I'm travelling (car, plane, boat, bike, foot...). So I use anything from a lightweight Decathlon 15L running pack, a dedicated Lowe Alpine holster, an Ortlieb drybag, a biggish Billingham bag to simply popping the camera (and bits) into whatever rucksack I happen to be using for the activity of the day. Most of the bags are not dedicated (or obvious) camera bags. 

So my suggestion is unless you go on dedicated photography trips and always shot the same sort of subjects, you'll be better off with a selection of different (non-photo-specific) bags that you can choose from based on what you expect to be doing that day.

Blue Straggler 26 Mar 2021

In reply to The Lemming:

You and Marek have brilliantly managed to get the wrong end of each other's sticks!

He thought you were asking for one bag for all your camera needs, which you didn't ask for. 

You in turn think he's calling you a fool for wanting something sold as "for cameras", which is not what he's saying. 

Everyone play nicely. 

Marek 26 Mar 2021

> You and Marek have brilliantly managed to get the wrong end of each other's sticks!

> He thought you were asking for one bag for all your camera needs, which you didn't ask for. 

> You in turn think he's calling you a fool for wanting something sold as "for cameras", which is not what he's saying. 

> Everyone play nicely. 

If a stick could have three ends, you'd have the last one! My comment - perhaps poorly worded - was that a 'good camera bag' depends very much on context (i.e., your environment, your mode of transport, all those sorts of things), and any firm recommendation without knowledge of the context is likely to be off-the-mark. Define the context and you're far more likely to get some good recommendations. Yes, I was 'playing nicely' - I was prompting the OP to restate his requirements in a way that was likely to get a recommendation suited to his needs. That was the point of the original question. wasn't it? Otherwise I might have just said "Well I use a Decathlon 15L running pack" (most of the time). A simple, precise and accurate but ultimately misleading answer.

Post edited at 17:52
 MisterPiggy 26 Mar 2021
In reply to The Lemming:

The metal clip holding the lid closed on Domke bags is very simple to use one handed when you're wearing the bag. But if you're not wearing, and are trying to open it to steal something, it's actually quite tricky and can't be done without attracting attention.

I suppose a thief could undo one of the velcro closed pockets, but would attract attention cos of the noise.

The fabric is too thick to cut easily - even with a scalpel - so little risk there.

I've never lost anything to thieves getting into the bag.

Another suggestion higher up was to use any old bag and individually wrap each item within it, or chuck in some foam dividers. Domke also make lens wraps and dividers. A cut up Karrimat and gaffer tape will also customise a non descript bag.

They also make extremely basic pouches that can fix to a belt, rucsac shoulder straps or camera bag straps. I use one to carry my point and shoot when in the hills, on the rucsac strap or hanging from the back of my harness.

I don't work for Domke, promise! I just like simple, well made bits of kit.

A good weekend too all.

PS. I just remembered that Filson used to make a camera bag that looks just like a shopping bag. Very popular with  photojournalists in dodgy places.

B&H have a great website to drool over when window shopping...

In reply to Marek:

> If a stick could have three ends, you'd have the last one!

Ha! Well I was sort of in the right ballpark (i.e. that you weren't having a go at The Lemming)

I am glad he stated (just shortly before your post and easy to miss) that he was after a satchel type thing rather than a backpack. 

Post edited at 20:32
 Guy Hurst 26 Mar 2021
In reply to The Lemming:

My son has found the Tenba BYOB 9 rucksack insert exellent for when he goes bouldering or climbing and wants to take his DSLR camera and a couple of lenses along. It sits at the top of whichever rucksack he's using and lets him get at his camera very quickly while also offering it good protection. It strikes me as a very flexible system, in that it fits in most rucksacks from 20-80 litres, it's cheaper than a dedicated camera bag and doesn't scream "I'm carrying a fortune in camera gear".

Marek 26 Mar 2021

> Ha! Well I was sort of in the right ballpark (i.e. that you weren't having a go at The Lemming)

> I am glad he stated (just shortly before your post and easy to miss) that he was after a satchel type thing rather than a backpack. 

Ah, you're right - I missed that!

In that case... I've found an Ortlieb-type drybag with a shoulder strap from one top loop to the diametrically opposite bottom loop works quite well. Tough, waterproof, non-photo-obvious (but can to be 'bright'), hard for anyone else to get into (the opening tends to be facing forward under your arm). I have several in a range of sizes to suit the camera/lens combo.

In reply to Guy Hurst:

> doesn't scream "I'm carrying a fortune in camera gear".

Are there any modern consumer bags that DO do this, aside from retro styled Billingham sort of ones? LowePro seem be strong in the market and most of their bags look like they are maybe not "disguised" but kind of generic "smart backpack"

I may be missing something but I thought this notion of "obvious camera bag screaming STEAL ME" was a thing of the distant past. 

Genuine question, not being a contrarian!  

I might just be very lucky in that I've never been close to being mugged due to carrying anything that looked valuable, despite having often carried around ~£1000 of easily stealable, portable and saleable bits and bobs (camera and non-camera related), often with a dSLR or CSC just slung around my shoulder on show to the world! 

But I don't often go around the Blackpool area and from The Lemming's descriptions of his work days and nights, I do see where he is coming from...

Post edited at 22:34
In reply to The Lemming:

Arcteryx Lunara.  

I have both the 10 and 17 litre versions for different scenarios, each with a separately bought padded insert. 

Not in the current range but still available.  Simple, low cost and low profile.

Frank R. 02 Apr 2021
In reply to MisterPiggy:

Lugged around Domke F2 for around two decades daily. While a great PJ bag, my spine and neck didn't really thank me after that - thankfully climbing and hillwalking helped with the physio! They were great bags for easy access to gear, unlike the other over-padded satchel bags, but nowadays I know so many old photographers with spine and neck problems from lugging too much too heavy gear every day in a Domke or similar side bag. Changed to Newswear chest vest as soon as it was made and never much looked back. Disclaimer - you do look like a dork or even a suicide bomber wearing one in metro areas, especially with some random cables hanging out of the chest vest pockets...

Post edited at 21:35
 MisterPiggy 05 Apr 2021
In reply to Frank R.:

Yup, back problems for me too! Less the photo bag, and more the decade of 50kg+ school satchel hanging from one shoulder cos school didn't believe in lockers for our books...

OK, maybe not 50kg, but some of those fat Econ or Physics books weighed a fair bit.

Graeme G 05 Apr 2021
In reply to The Lemming:

If not already suggested and you’re just looking for a casual style bag you could try a Bagsmart? It’s got it’s flaws, but for £50 it’s really good value IMO.

https://www.bagsmart.com/collections/photography?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1trz24bn...

Post edited at 12:59

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...