BT - The Phone Book

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

The latest phone book from BT was popped through the letterbox this week. I’ve never used one for at least 20 years, so surprised that it is still delivered whether I want one or not. 

Seems such a waste of resources nowadays. With it available online, I don’t see the point to just mass deliver a paper version; an opt in for those that want or need one should be the way forward.

I’m not aware of any opt out or at least I’ve never found one in the past. Time for a phone call to BT next week.

Pedro50 20 Mar 2021
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Completely idiotic as is the yellow pages. Straight to recycling ♻️

Removed User 20 Mar 2021

Maybe there’s some statutory obligation on BT to supply it. 

gethin_allen 20 Mar 2021
In reply to Pedro50:

I'm always astounded by how thin it is now. If that kid had wanted to kiss the girl under the mistletoe now he'd need about 8 copies.

earlsdonwhu 20 Mar 2021

To reduce the paper used, they've used a tiny font so I would need a magnifying glass to read a phone book now.

In reply to Removed Userthetwin:

Possible still, I guess - I’m aware that BT had an obligation to maintain and supply a database. Now that directory enquires is widely available by phone and online, to still supply a paper phone book seems out of date. BT must benefit or they surely would have argued the point long ago.

I’m not even a direct customer of BT, and haven’t been for years, though I believe the obligation to maintain the database remains with BT no matter who uses their landlines. 

In reply to gethin_allen:

Sure BT would be happy to supply another 8 books; only £10 for each additional copy!

Doug 20 Mar 2021

Here in France we haven't had a printed phone book for years & as they don't include mobile phone N°s there doesn't seem much point in having one anymore

marsbar 20 Mar 2021

I had no idea these were still a thing.  

Ciro 20 Mar 2021

> Possible still, I guess - I’m aware that BT had an obligation to maintain and supply a database. Now that directory enquires is widely available by phone and online, to still supply a paper phone book seems out of date. BT must benefit or they surely would have argued the point long ago.

I imagine BT may feel it's good advertising.

Bob Kemp 20 Mar 2021

It’s okay- in a few years it’ll have shrunk to the point where you don’t even notice it on the mat. 

yorkshire_lad2 20 Mar 2021

It's mostly only landlines (many generations doesn't know what those are now), it's a waste of paper (it's all online), if you want a phone number these days you google for it, many people are ex-directory (in the belief it will reduce cold calls, which it won't cos many cold callers just use automated diallers through banks of numbers).
But wait until someone suggests that the BT phone book is got rid of and there'll be uproar, and someone claiming they're disadvantaged somewhere, so we'll have to go on with this outdated doorstep substitute.
I have a feeling you can opt out of Yellow Pages.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...