NEW ROUTE CARD: Kentmere Pike from Kendal

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Scaife 16 Mar 2021

Longsleddale from the Gatescarth Pass descentWhen lockdown lifts, it's going to get busy in the Lake District.

Avoid the crowds and help reduce traffic in the National Park with this big day out, starting from the train station in Kendal. Kentmere Pike is probably best known to most walkers as one of a long line of fells on the ever-popular Kentmere Horseshoe, but it's a worthy peak in its own right, and offers magnificent panoramas of the southern Lake District, as well as distant views of the North Pennines, Yorkshire Dales and Morecambe Bay. 

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1323

joe.91 16 Mar 2021
In reply to Chris Scaife:

Anyone else spot the obvious improvement? There is a station in Burneside... 

davepembs 16 Mar 2021
In reply to joe.91:

Station at Staveley as well! 

felt 16 Mar 2021
In reply to davepembs:

But you'd miss the Where Eagles Dare schloss on the Kent

The entire skyline horseshoe taking in Gurnal Dubs, Potter Fell, Brunt Knott, the standard Kentmere horseshoe anticlockwise, then back over Sallows, Capple Howe and past Williamson's monument down to Staveley is an interesting alternative. 

Lankyman 16 Mar 2021
In reply to davepembs:

It's more convenient to get my butler to drop me at Sadgill and meet me later in Kentmere

OP Chris Scaife 16 Mar 2021
In reply to joe.91:

I've described a walk from Kendal - a biggish town with more accommodation options and better transport links than Burneside - and I chose the station as the starting point because it's fairly central and easy to reach.

The walk from Kendal to Burneside is partly along an interesting section of the River Kent and partly beside some pleasant farmland. If you think skipping this bit and instead travelling by train to Burneside is 'the obvious improvement', go for it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...