Wide fitting B2 boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andyd1970 07 Mar 2021

Looking for some new wide fitting B2 boots as I have a foot issue. Currently have the manta pro GTX but they don’t really fit me anymore. Anyone else got any experience in this as? If I can get a couple of ideas I can try and visit the correct shop that sells them and try them on. Tried the Scarpa ribelle lite HD but found them quite narrow in the forefoot

Thanks 

1philjones1 07 Mar 2021
In reply to andyd1970:

I had the same issue with both those boots. Now got the Salewa Rapace which fit my wide forefoot brilliantly. They are a fairly soft, bendy b2 and not much insulation but great for scrambling, easy winter routes and summer alpine. Mad about mountains stock them if you’re in the Lakes area.

If you’re after stiffer b2’s the Salewa Vultur Evo a great boot but quite heavy by modern standards. Similar high volume/width to the Rapace.

OP andyd1970 07 Mar 2021
In reply to 1philjones1:

Hi Phil 

I actually saw those in a pic and thought they looked quite wide. What are the salewa like fir length compared to the Scarpa. I actually found the Ribelle slightly shorter than the manta. I’m in Cheshire but had a pair of Trango off mad about mountains a few years back

1philjones1 07 Mar 2021
In reply to andyd1970:

Similar length. I had 46 in Scarpa and they were fine for length but tight on the forefoot. Salewa in 46 are fine both length and width. I’m in Cheshire too, near Northwich. If, by any chance, you’re a 46 you’re welcome to call round and try them. Once we’re allowed out again, I think Crib Goch outdoor in Llanberis stock them too.

OP andyd1970 07 Mar 2021
In reply to 1philjones1:

Thanks I’m a 47 but thanks for the offer it was a nice gesture. I will take a look.

Thanks

oldie 07 Mar 2021
In reply to andyd1970:

North Face Verto S4K GORE-TEX Boots....B2, wideish fit 
I find them light and nimble, good for rock climbing, waterproof but not very warm.

rockwing 07 Mar 2021
In reply to andyd1970:

I bought a pair of Kayland Cross from Crib Goch Outdoor World in Llanberis that are a nice wide fit. I'd personally call them a B-1.8 as they aren't really suited to deep snow but definitely good for summer scrambling and easy alpine.

salad fingers 07 Mar 2021
In reply to andyd1970:

Strange that you find the Ribelle too narrow, I think it's generally considered high volume and wide - certainly my experience having had to ditch my Mantas in favour of them. In fact, I have slim volume adjusters in mine. FWIW, I have size 45 2E (wide feet).

TechnoJim 07 Mar 2021
In reply to andyd1970:

Mammut and Garmont are good for wide feet.

I know it's not exactly what you're after but I've got a pair of lightweight size 47 Mammut B3s that I can let go and I'm staying in Chester/working in Ellesmere Port next week if you wanted to have a try on?

Edit - They're in good nick. Minimal use.

Post edited at 13:30
 echo34 07 Mar 2021

I had similar problems - Ribelle tech was far too narrow, the Lite was ok but the heel was awful. 
I had good experience with the Salewa Crow (basically the same as Rapace just different material) due to the better shaped toe box, they are still fairly narrow though.

scarpa Zodiac Tech are nice in the toe box, but I found the heel a bit sloppy on them.

I think the main problem with this is that boots are not foot shaped, manufacturers seem to insist on this ridiculous pointed toe design.

OP andyd1970 07 Mar 2021
In reply to salad fingers:

I was gutted coz someone on UKC said they would be wider than my mantas. I put the insoles together and the manta are definitely wider by a couple of mm. The ribelle are a lovely boot and love the ankle sock fit

OP andyd1970 07 Mar 2021
In reply to TechnoJim:

Hi Jim

What boots are they?

Thanks

Andy

TechnoJim 07 Mar 2021
In reply to andyd1970:

Magic Guide High Gtx. Lacing and heel lock system is almost identical to Salewa Vulture Evo. Toe box is really roomy. I've lost the bloody factory insoles though, I just use my Superfeet.

If you like I can chuck them in the van tomorrow, absolutely no worries if you're not interested though!

Jim.

Post edited at 19:37
OP andyd1970 07 Mar 2021
In reply to TechnoJim:

Hi Jim

Dont think they will fit to be honest as I used to have the magic high and had to get rid 

Thanks anyway 

TechnoJim 07 Mar 2021
In reply to andyd1970:

No worries mucker

99ster 08 Mar 2021
In reply to andyd1970:

Another option is getting the guys at Whalley Warm & Dry https://www.whalleyoutdoor.co.uk/ to stretch them for you.  I had big problems getting wide enough boots due to a foot issue (hallux valgus) and I was recommended to speak to them.  Fantastic service (and they're Scarpa dealers).  They've stretched both B2 & B3 Scarpa boots for me, when other so-called experts told me it couldn't be done...

MischaHY 08 Mar 2021
In reply to andyd1970:

I'm very surprised nobody has mentioned Hanwag and Lowa yet - these are the obvious choice for wide mountain boots and come in considerably wider than the Scarpa. 

Off the top of my head I'd say Lowa Mountain Expert would be ideal but there are several models to choose from from both brands. 

I regularly have to recommend mountain boots to Dutch people and these are the only ones that will fit (the Dutch have almost universally very wide feet). 

It rather depends on the ankle height and level of insulation you're looking for as well - Lowa Cadin or Hanwag Ferrata are two other excellent wide fitting options. 

Mammut are a little sporadic between models but my girlfriend has true germanic square feet and fits the Mammut Taiss Light very well so this is another good option. 

Hope this helps and happy to advise more if necessary 🙌🏻 (This is my current job 😁). 

Post edited at 20:56
 Pbob 08 Mar 2021
In reply to andyd1970:

Altberg do a couple of crampon compatible boots in any fitting you might want. I've got wide feet and really rate them. Not too pricey but definitely old school.

critter 09 Mar 2021
In reply to andyd1970:

I thought I'd got the ' Holy Grail' of high volume, wide B2 boots with the Salewa Vultur Evo. Unfortunately the position of the unforgiving arch support made them another boot to add to the expensive bought, tried outside, can't return list. This despite me having a normal medium arch.

Eventually bought s pair of Meindl Jorasses, light comfortable on the hill and B2. Another option, although I bought these from Bergzeit pre- Brexit.

Still have Salewa boots, in 43, near new. I can do a great price if any one interested.

Post edited at 18:18
OP andyd1970 09 Mar 2021
In reply to 99ster:

I actually thought about going to see them when the lockdown is over 

OP andyd1970 09 Mar 2021
In reply to MischaHY:

I will take a look and do you know what they are like for length compared to other brands 

GrahamD 09 Mar 2021
In reply to andyd1970:

I've got Altberg boots which have been great.  Certainly when I got them you could get different width fitting options. 

MischaHY 10 Mar 2021
In reply to andyd1970:

You can go for your normal street size IMO. If you really like extra space then half a size bigger will buy you 0.5cm more (this is the industry standard). Length generally varies far less than width in my experience. 

99ster 10 Mar 2021
In reply to andyd1970:

They have a fantastic reputation that's wholly deserved.  It's a long journey for me to visit them - but well worth it.  They also helped me out with custom insoles that have been of great benefit.  Highly recommended.

Post edited at 14:28

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...