PRESS RELEASE: Being a Field Guide in Antarctica

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 04 Mar 2021
The author after a long day skidooing in cold temperatures

"The sun was shining as I walked across the open ground to the bright red DASH 7 aircraft waiting on the runway in Punta Arenas. BAS's chief pilot greeted us at the foot of the steps to the aircraft and welcomed us aboard. Within a few minutes we were out over the water above Tierra del Fuego and bound for BAS's Rothera Research station on the Antarctic Peninsula and the start of my 18-month contract as a Field Guide. My stomach was filled with butterflies, I'd never even sat on a Skidoo let alone driven one, or done any vehicle maintenance, or travelled over sea ice; could I really do this job?"

Read more
 Sean Kelly 04 Mar 2021
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

If only I was a youngster and single again, what an opportunity. I had a mate go down for 3 winters in the 70's and he became an expert dog handler. So much so that he then did the famous Alaska dog-sled race. Made a change from teaching 5c in a Manchester inner-city company!

Excellent read btw.

Post edited at 13:07
 arose 04 Mar 2021
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:  Great article Ian.  I added a lot of “classic” Adelaide island routes to the UKC database when I wintered if anyone wants to check out the recreational climbing opportunities near to Rothera.  My favourite area - https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/stork_ridge-22897#north_stork

crayefish 04 Mar 2021

I dont think I want to read this... it will only make me very jealous!

Simon King 05 Mar 2021

Nice one Ian; a good read. Hope to see you soon. Wonder if Pabbay or something similar might be a goer this year?

Iain Sword 05 Mar 2021

Amazing read Ian! I've been looking at work with the BAS for a few years now! This just makes me even more certain.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...