2 man tents

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NorthernGrit 03 Mar 2021

I’m after another 2 man tent. Currently for garden camping duties with the kids but would like something that will fill my backpacking duties when I can again. I don’t need anything mega lightweight and don’t want to spend a fortune. Head height and twin porch are preferred. Both the the WC helm 2 and Vango Torridon 200 look good options but I can’t find stock anywhere. Does anybody have any steer on either stock of these or equivalent alternatives? I’d rather not buy something cheap now and then get another later in the year but both kids are keen for garden camping now weather has improved and putting up the big family tent just isn’t as much fun. Thanks.

TobyA 03 Mar 2021
In reply to NorthernGrit:

If its value for money but still some performance that you want, I'd look at the more expensive end of Decathlon's range (and that still won't be that much compared to other brands). We bought a three man dome when my oldest was baby, so it must be coming on 17 years old! And amazingly it still works perfectly well. I think we paid about 30 quid for it but it was on sale down from 50! It has fiber glass poles which aren't the lightest, but the newer slightly posher ones all seem to come with alloy poles which is what you want. I haven't used any of their newer models but like most stuff, Decathlon's own stuff tends to be really well designed and reasonably made, and obviously just bought on such a scale that the prices are kept down.

OP NorthernGrit 03 Mar 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks. I had looked at Decathlon but all the tents I'd be interested in are also out of stock.

stewart murray 05 Mar 2021

Have a look at Naturehike Mongar on Amazon. I know, I was sceptical but did a bit of Googling and was swayed by the positive reviews. I haven’t used mine in anger yet but it seems really well made. Roomy and 2 doors. Plenty of reviews on YouTube 

OP NorthernGrit 05 Mar 2021
In reply to stewart murray:

Hubba hubba that does look decent for the money. Thanks for the tip!

TobyA 05 Mar 2021

Don't know about availability but the Elixir range are the MSR ones that aren't super expensive. I reviewed the 1 man and think its great: https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/camping/tents+bivvys/msr_elixir_1_tent-1139... A friend bought the 2 man version after my suggestion and says it has been great. 

Dark-Cloud 05 Mar 2021
In reply to TobyA:

I too bought an Elixir 2 on the back of your review, great tent for the money, weight wise it's manageable when split between 2 , I wouldn't want to carry it on my own though...

OP NorthernGrit 05 Mar 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

It's lighter than my current 'backpacking' tent (WC duolite) so seems reasonable to me!

BrendanO 05 Mar 2021

Despite what you say, for garden camping with kids, I’d go cheap. If you have a £30 Tesco tent (they are fine, I have an £18 Tesco tent for general camping, campsites, motorbike events), you wont be grumpy when children set fire to it, fall on it, etc, and it will last a few yrs looked after, or you can leave it in garden all dummer and ruin it.

That £30 protects yr investment in whatever “proper tent” you buy.

OP NorthernGrit 06 Mar 2021

Thanks all. I like the look of the naturehike but have ordered the elixir 2. The extra £80 I paid seems worth it for a 3 year warranty and from a established brand (whether that means anything or not in reality). I can also take the weight penalty. 

As it goes I do have an old millets tent which fits the kids general use bill. I needed another proper tent anyway and despite being destructive sods in lots of different ways the kids are actually always careful when it comes to camping stuff!

Post edited at 11:26

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...