Best mens pants to avoid chafing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

As per title. Any recommendations please.

Levy_danny 03 Mar 2021
In reply to pancakeandchips:

Pants as in underpants or trousers? 

For me I find the shorts with the mesh in or lycra undershorts with some ultraglide if going for a longer run. 

If I wear underpants they can get sweaty, bunch up and chafe. 

In reply to Levy_danny:

Underpants. I'm pretty new to running and I've been wearing some ronhill leggings over the winter. I've got some cheap decathlon running boxers I've been wearing underneath which works fine on shorter runs but further than 10k starts to be a problem. Dya reckon just go commando in the leggings then? Worth a shot I suppose.

Andy Johnson 03 Mar 2021

> just go commando in the leggings then?

Leggings won't provide much support. Potentially painful.

Denning76 03 Mar 2021

Lot a chat about that Runderwear brand of late. No clue if they are any good though.

As for pants under leggings, I've never done it and never had a problem going commando.

Post edited at 14:03
cb294 03 Mar 2021

Craft underpants with the six inch legs for me. Sufficent "front stabilization", and a long and reasonably tight fit around the thighs to prevent chafing around the thighs.

CB

Nic Barber 03 Mar 2021

Marks and Sparks hipster brief type things. Have lasted me for years. Tbf any underwear that's not too baggy seems to suit me, cotton or more man made. Running-specific pants strike me as more marketing innovation that development innovation, but have never tried them!

If the shorts come with integral supportive lycra/knicker lining I can go commando, but sometimes the material/seams can be a bit rough on the old danglies so I wear budgie smugglers for more protections

When I go longer and it's wet, or it's warm so I'll sweat (if it's really warm and I might take my top off - when out on the lonely bits of the moors I hasten to add - more sweat gathers in the shorts), I lube up with Vaseline on the inner thigh to reduce chaffing. Similar on other rub points like the armpits/bits of the back depending on pack I'm wearing

George Ormerod 03 Mar 2021

Saxx underwear.  It has a pouch for your tackle that eliminates ball sack thigh chafeage and thigh-thigh chub-rub.

Neil Williams 03 Mar 2021

Compression shorts of some sort will work.  Basically they need to be tight enough not to ride up.

bouldery bits 03 Mar 2021

Helly Hansen XCool boxer - if you can find them! 

Chriswhoruns 03 Mar 2021

I’m a fan of Ascis twin skin shorts, they have a Lycra inner short. But saying that I’ve never worn anything under any short or leggings.

As other have said Runderwear is pretty good, sure there are other brands though!

Ridge 03 Mar 2021

Cheap lacy thongs chafe terribly...er...so I've been told.

deepsoup 03 Mar 2021

> works fine on shorter runs but further than 10k starts to be a problem.

If what you've been doing is ok for shorter distances and you're generally happy with it, maybe just lube up for the longer ones.  I use the Decathlon stuff, find I need a bit at the back of my armpits too if it's likely to be a sweaty one.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/anti-chafing-cream-100-ml/_/R-p-119690

summo 03 Mar 2021
In reply to cb294:

+1 for craft stuff. Some of it's made for long distance skiing or running and is made without any seams in key areas. A bit like cycling shorts. 

Forest Dump 03 Mar 2021

Under Armour long legged tech boxers.

The M&S one's are pretty good too.

andyman666999 03 Mar 2021

Chaps

nathan79 03 Mar 2021
In reply to Forest Dump:

Another vote for UnderArmour here. As a generous thighed chap I wear the 9-inch ones for sporty stuff and the 6-inch ones day-to-day.

Some running friends do sing the praises of Runderwear

Lhod 03 Mar 2021

-1 for runderwear, I have a couple of pairs of the boxers and think they're awful. I've been red raw within an hour or so. But that doesn't seem to be the consensus, like others say I have several friends who really rate them. The best I've found is underarmour lycra shorts, I've done several ultras in these but they're still not perfect and I am interested to see what other suggestions come up in this thread. 

Marmoteer 03 Mar 2021

I use Ronhill Lycra shorts for running (with normal shorts over the top), I have tried other brands like 2XU but they don’t fit quite as well, Skinz were good but I think they went bust about 2 years ago😢

jezzah 04 Mar 2021

Tub of Vaseline seems to work pretty well (applied fairly liberally) and then any pants that you have- avoid cotton because it's not so good when you sweat.

Is pretty reliable for me on >50Km runs. Prevention is better than cure!

Experiment and see what works for you.

Nic Barber 04 Mar 2021

'comfyballs' may be worth a look - https://www.comfyballs.co.uk/

No personal experience of them as yet but I know some who use them on long stuff.

They use terms like 'PackageFront' and 'Ball Squeeze Avoidance (BSA)' and 'Reduced Heat Transfer'

Post edited at 10:17

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...