Screw head term

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 25 Feb 2021

Looking for more like this. It would help my search if I knew what the term is for the head type.

Anyone know? 

mondite 25 Feb 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Looks like a somewhat knackered phillips/slot rounded head.

Jim Lancs 25 Feb 2021

As mondite said, it's a hybrid / mongrel / b'stard.

One axis of the Phillips cross has been extended out to the side so an ordinary straight screwdriver can be used. You see these on electrical connections or cheap bike parts as they try to cater for as many DIY bodgers as possible to use the one screwdriver they own.

When looking for a replacement, the important aspects are the thread type, length, diameter and head shape. Assuming you have the choice of screwdriver, then either a Phillips or a plain crosshead will do.

Gavin 25 Feb 2021
In reply to mondite:

https://uk.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detail/221000546167/# looks like what you have, and is described as a "Pan Head Screw with Cross/Straight Slot", but I was with initially with mondite in thinking it looked like a rounded head in your picture, not a pan head, but a side on image would help clear that up.

Andy Johnson 25 Feb 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Its a combination slotted/Phillips head. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives#Combination_drives_(Plus.... That page is very useful for identifying different screw drives.

Myfyr Tomos 25 Feb 2021
In reply to Jim Lancs:

Or as a neighbour of mine (farmer) said, "it doesn't matter what the thread is, as long as your spanner is long enough."

jimtitt 25 Feb 2021
In reply to mondite:

> Looks like a somewhat knackered phillips/slot rounded head.

Bet you it's actually Pozidriv Closer examination of the poor photo shows the extra four marks are missing so it's probably Phillips or a crap Pozi!

Post edited at 19:01
In reply to Flinticus:

Could also be called pozzie drive, black jappanned, dome head. 

I get through thousands of them at work. 

Hooo 25 Feb 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

I just threw a handful of those away after struggling to get them out. Most of them ended up knackered, but even the ones that survived I wouldn't use again. Rubbish IMO.

Why do you want that particular head? 

OP Flinticus 26 Feb 2021
In reply to jimtitt:

Poor photo!

Swords at dawn, cur! 

Or screw drivers

Ridge 26 Feb 2021
In reply to Hooo:

> I just threw a handful of those away after struggling to get them out. Most of them ended up knackered, but even the ones that survived I wouldn't use again. Rubbish IMO.

> Why do you want that particular head? 

My thoughts exactly. It's probably also made of aluminium, cheese or some other equally unsuitable material.

OP Flinticus 26 Feb 2021
In reply to Ridge:

Simply to match the others in place! No practical reason

Dave Garnett 26 Feb 2021
In reply to Andy Johnson:

> Its a combination slotted/Phillips head. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives#Combination_drives_(Plus.... That page is very useful for identifying different screw drives.

Wow.  I think that's the nerdiest thing I've ever seen.  It explains so much.  Brilliant!

jkarran 26 Feb 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Unless there are dozens of them it'd maybe be easier to replace them all with a matched set assuming it's the look you're concerned about. Finding a good match for colour, thread and head shape will be tricky.

Jk

OP Flinticus 26 Feb 2021
In reply to Dave Garnett:

You've clearly never looked into bicycle tyres & rim sizing!

jkarran 26 Feb 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

> You've clearly never looked into bicycle tyres & rim sizing!

There should be a warning atop those charts: "Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

What a mess!

jk

peppermill 26 Feb 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

> You've clearly never looked into bicycle tyres & rim sizing!

I see this and raise you:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/

OP Flinticus 26 Feb 2021
In reply to jkarran:

We should just destroy every bike wheel in existence and start again. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...