Copying a map and keeping formatting - Help?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 22 Feb 2021

I have some maps I am trying to copy into a word document, and when trying to either copy them from the downloaded PDF, or a PDF I have created in case that has any influence, the formatting still goes funny, has anybody any thoughts on how to solve this?

It's driving me nuts.

Thanks

Harry Jarvis 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Timmd:

Take a screenshot, save as a jpg and embed as an image. 

OP Timmd 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

How does I take a screen shot of a specific image/part of a screen and can it be resized once I've put it into Word?

Thanks.

FactorXXX 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Timmd:

> I have some maps I am trying to copy into a word document, and when trying to either copy them from the downloaded PDF, or a PDF I have created in case that has any influence, the formatting still goes funny, has anybody any thoughts on how to solve this?

If you're using Windows, then the Snipping Tool is the answer.
Simply select the area that you want by clicking/dragging and then right mouse click to copy/save from the drop down menu. 

OP Timmd 22 Feb 2021
In reply to FactorXXX:

I've tried that, and it still looses formatting. 

Harry Jarvis 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Timmd:

> I've tried that, and it still looses formatting. 

What do you mean by 'loses formatting'?

Morty 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Timmd:

> How does I take a screen shot of a specific image/part of a screen and can it be resized once I've put it into Word?

> Thanks.

Press print screen and it will take a screenshot. Cut and paste into Word. Click on the image and then use the crop tool. You can also resize the image.

Post edited at 11:23
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

And what exactly does he mean by 'goes funny'?

Blue Straggler 22 Feb 2021
In reply to captain paranoia and Harry Jarvis:

> And what exactly does he mean by 'goes funny'?

Timmd is not always able to explain very clearly what is going on. I am going to hazard a guess that when he pastes the image as copied from the PDF, it turns out to be much larger than A4, and spreads way beyond the size of the Word document. My guess of course assumes that he is copy-pasting the image from the PDF, as I THINK this is the method he was employing in response to an earlier thread asking about how to do it at all. Snipping Tool and Print Screen were suggested to him on that thread too, and there, like here, he seems not to have responded to those suggestions with a positive report of success. Of course Snipping Tool will enable pasting it exactly as seen on screen....
Let's wait to see what Timmd has tried by now. 

OP Timmd 22 Feb 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

From googling, losing formatting seemed to be the technical term, the grid reference numbers around the map vanish to different parts of the document it's placed in, random lines appear on other pages which didn't exist until they needed to, to be taken up by the random lines, and other text grouped around the map seems to land wherever the computer decides it will. What is still as it should be in the original image, no longer is once it's been copied. 

Post edited at 13:20
In reply to Timmd:

Use Snipping Tool or Print Screen, as several people have suggested. [edit - sorry, I see that you have attempted this and claim that you are still "losing formatting". Please see my subsequent post]

Post edited at 13:25
In reply to Timmd:

> I've tried that, and it still looses formatting. 

This seems incredibly unlikely. It sounds like you've copied direct from the PDF, and this is in your System clipboard, and then tried Snipping Tool but you haven't copied from Snipping Tool (thus replacing the PDF in the System clipboard), so that when you paste into Word, you are not pasting the "screenshot" from Snipping Tool. 

There is no "formatting" in the screenshot in Snipping Tool (or Print Screen). It's literally just an image of what's on the screen. 

In reply to Timmd:

> How does I take a screen shot of a specific image/part of a screen and can it be resized once I've put it into Word?

> Thanks.

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/off_belay/convert_pdf_2_wordcapture_image...

nniff 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Timmd:

You must be copying the PDF.  Make sure that all of the image you want is visible on the screen.   Don't select anything.   Press Alt and PRT SCR together (the latter is usually somewhere around the F12 key)  and then, in Word, >Paste >paste Special >PNG.  Your will then have to click on your image >Picture Format >Crop and remove the  bits that you don't want.

or, instead of Apt Prt SCR type Snip into the little run window, open the snipping app, select new and drag around the map you want. 

Make sure nothing is in the way when you do this (particularly the mouse pointer for Alt Print Screen.

In reply to Timmd:

It sounds like Word is dismantling the PDF, and trying to rebuild it as a Word artefact, but f*cking that task up monumentally; not too surprising... Word is able to import PDF documents (those that are using scalable vector graphics (SVG), rather than bit map images). It's likely that the mapping itself is a bitmap image, surrounded by SVG elements for border and grid annotation.

To avoid this, either take a screenshot of the PDF,  which will convert the entire PDF image to a monolithic bitmap, or look at the paste options, to try to prevent Word being 'clever'.

OP Timmd 22 Feb 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

That seems like a pretty good summation. There was something up with the snipping tool on my other laptop, too, one of those days. It could seem I need to learn more about what happens to PDF in conjunction with snipping.

Edit: Thank you for not being patronising BTW, and happening to have an illuminating answer. 

Post edited at 14:53
In reply to Timmd:

> Edit: Thank you for not being patronising BTW, and happening to have an illuminating answer. 

Unlike everyone else who offered help?! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...