Range West Mass Trespass research

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kmsands 11 Feb 2021

I’m interested in finding out the full story of the Pembrokeshire Castlemartin (Range West) mass climbing trespass of 1991, the run up to it and its aftermath, and I wonder if anyone who frequents these forums was involved or knows people who were?

I heard about it from a climbing instructor in Pembrokeshire last year, have gleaned more bits of it online, but would love to fill in the gaps. I like the way the route names listed in the Climbers Club guide tell their own story: http://www.climbers-club.co.uk/downloads/pembroke-range-west-chron.pdf

Names of first routers during the trespass are Dave Cook (the main organiser I think, but a different Dave Cook to the communist activist and climbing writer who died in 1993) Pat Littlejohn, D Viggers, S Findlay, M Hopkins, A Richardson, P Devine, J Dance, F Ramsey …?

First off this is just a bit of personal amateur research, based on an interest in climbing history and the right to roam movement (but I’m also hoping it will turn into something worth writing about and publishing somewhere). I’d be keen on interviewing any participants either by email or zoom.

duncan 11 Feb 2021
In reply to kmsands:

> I’m interested in finding out the full story of the Pembrokeshire Castlemartin (Range West) mass climbing trespass of 1991, the run up to it and its aftermath, and I wonder if anyone who frequents these forums was involved or knows people who were?

> I heard about it from a climbing instructor in Pembrokeshire last year, have gleaned more bits of it online, but would love to fill in the gaps. I like the way the route names listed in the Climbers Club guide tell their own story: http://www.climbers-club.co.uk/downloads/pembroke-range-west-chron.pdf

> Names of first routers during the trespass are Dave Cook (the main organiser I think, but a different Dave Cook to the communist activist and climbing writer who died in 1993) Pat Littlejohn, D Viggers, S Findlay, M Hopkins, A Richardson, P Devine, J Dance, F Ramsey …?

> First off this is just a bit of personal amateur research, based on an interest in climbing history and the right to roam movement (but I’m also hoping it will turn into something worth writing about and publishing somewhere). I’d be keen on interviewing any participants either by email or zoom.

Your two Dave Cooks are very much the same person. 

OP kmsands 11 Feb 2021
In reply to duncan:

Ah thanks for that - did you know him at all?

My previous gleanings had led me to believe that the Pembrokeshire-based activist Cook and the London-based communist Cook were different people - annoyingly, I can't find the source of my assumption now.

It might have just been that the guy who first told me about it had said he was a "local climber" (ie Pembrokeshire-local) and the person I thought of as the "other" Dave Cook (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Cook_(politician) was London-based at the time. On the other hand, the mass trespass organisation fits with the communist party activism though, in the tradition of Kinder Scout, etc.

Dave Garnett 11 Feb 2021
In reply to kmsands:

Dave Viggers used to post on here and is still registered.  He, Steve Findlay and Mark Hopkins at least were Bristol regulars back in the late 80s...  

spenser 11 Feb 2021
In reply to Dave Garnett:

I've sent Dave Viggers an email pointing him at the thread.

OP kmsands 11 Feb 2021
In reply to spenser:

brilliant - thanks!

S11 11 Feb 2021
In reply to spenser:

I've sent an email about the thread to Boisterous Bob Allen, he will know more than most, not only being part of the events but a good friend of Dave Cook.

OP kmsands 11 Feb 2021
In reply to S11:

Cheers!

PaulJepson 11 Feb 2021
In reply to kmsands:

Don't think Alun Richardson is on here but I'm sure if you pinged him a message on Facebook he'd be happy to reply. 

Edit: http://www.alunrichardson.co.uk/

Post edited at 16:57
 Dave Viggers 11 Feb 2021
In reply to kmsands:

Hi Dave Viggers here - can I help at all? I was involved quite a lot with the early development having taken over route recording from Cooky - they are both the same as others have said already. My first incursion was with Emma, when we were shadowed all day by a frigate, through to quiet under the radar trips, a memorable Xmas when we did some 60 new routes between us, pressing for official access, via a reluctant BMC, the trespass - only narrowly being 'caught' by a friend giving himself up, pushing for a ground up ethic, and then keeping the climbing record for several years after. There are some pictures of the team on the trespass, which were in some mags, but I don't have any. Happy to Zoom if you would like? dave.viggers@outlook.com.

PaulJepson 11 Feb 2021
In reply to Dave Viggers:

I may be misremembering but I think I recall seeing some photos in the Climbers Club hut there. 

OP kmsands 11 Feb 2021
In reply to Dave Viggers:

Hi Dave, thanks very much for replying - that sounds great - I'll send you an email later this evening.

David Barlow 11 Feb 2021
In reply to kmsands:

I was one of the "caught" climbers so feel free to contact me directly for more information.

David

OP kmsands 12 Feb 2021
In reply to David Barlow:

Thanks David - I'll send a message later today

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...