Waterproof jacket advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gazj1986 01 Feb 2021

Im looking for hands on advice regarding waterproof jackets. Afew options are the ME lhotse, ME tupilak, cimalp advanced 3H, montane alpine resolve or of course the Paramo range. Im really into the paramo valez evolution hybrid but at min i cant try on for fit anywhere. I know where i stand with gore tex type jackets but if the velez evo can do winter and vent for those spring days id be keen. 

BuzyG 01 Feb 2021
In reply to gazj1986:

You really can't go wrong with the ME hard-shells in Gortex Pro.  Best I have so far found. 

In reply to gazj1986:

I really like paramo jackets and I've got a lightweight summer one, the Velez, and a heavyweight winter one, the enduro, as well as an Aspira smock issued by my MRT. Because they're multiple layer even the lighter one is more than 600g, but the flip side of that is that it's warmer than a goretex shell and so you can miss a layer underneath it. They're more breathable and comfortable than goretex so you can wear them more like a softshell. The venting options work really well so you can keep making adjustments to stay comfortable without having to stop.

On the flip side they need more care. If you don't wash them regularly they start to leak and they need reproofing every couple of months or so. Even on the heavy llweight jackets the fabric feels more flimsy than comparable goretex hardshells, but then again if they get torn you can just stitch them up and they still magically keep the water out.

I've also got a fairly light ME goretex pro jacket that's a few years old and has seen lots of abuse. Some days that feels like the right one to take out 🤷‍♂️. It's a lot less breathable so I find I spend more time messing around with layers. On the other hand it feels very protective and I worry less about damaging it.

On really wet days I've worn goretex over the lightweight paramo and stayed dry while everyone else around me got soaked to the skin.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...