REVIEW: JetBoil Stash - neat nesting stove system

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 01 Feb 2021
A nice compact system for one person

Combining the lightness of a folding gas stove with the convenience and some of the performance benefits of a tower system, the Stash should appeal to weight-conscious users from backpackers to mountaineers, reckons Dan Bailey. This new stove is out late February, but we've had an early look here.

Read more
 roddyp 01 Feb 2021
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Looks like some nice design touches, and the weight is impressive. The lack of regulation makes it a 'no' for me, though: If all you're doing is boiling water, fine, but I'd happily add a few tens of grams to the weight for a regulator and piezo spark.  

Basemetal 01 Feb 2021

Interesting, it has taken Jetboil a long time to produce a lighter weight burner - we've been expecting a Ti unit for a decade. Is the pot mounting compatible with existing JB pots?

Their old 1400w burner was one of the factors in their usefully frugal gas consumption, what's the power output on this one?

In reply to Basemetal:

Sorry, I knew there was something I needed to add: 4,500 BTU/h (1.52 kW)

Frank R. 01 Feb 2021

Or you could get something like SOTO Amicus (regulator, better wind resistance and twice the output) for 30 quid and pair it with a generic heat exchanger 0.8l-1l pot for another 30 quid.

Nearly same weight, better & regulated burner, double the power (if/when needed) and half the price. The only thing you'll miss is the neat lid you can snap a canister into...

roddyp 01 Feb 2021
In reply to Frank R.:

> Or you could get something like SOTO Amicus (regulator, better wind resistance and twice the output) for 30 quid and pair it with a generic heat exchanger 0.8l-1l pot for another 30 quid.

You're paying as (big!) premium for a pot and lid that only weigh 140g. I haven't seen a generic pot that comes anywhere close to that weight.   

DaveHK 01 Feb 2021
In reply to roddyp:

> You're paying as (big!) premium for a pot and lid that only weigh 140g. I haven't seen a generic pot that comes anywhere close to that weight.   

You can't be a weight weenie AND carry a Jetboil, it's an either or that.

Post edited at 12:27
 Ben Callard 01 Feb 2021
In reply to roddyp:

MSR Titan kettle. 118g. Admittedly no heat exchanger.  

Dr.S at work 01 Feb 2021
In reply to Ben Callard:

yeah - thats a really low weight for a pot with a built in heat exchanger - the optimus veresion is about 220g just for the pot, no lid.

alimckay 01 Feb 2021

Worth noting that the actual retail price for this in the UK is £140. Annoying considering the RRP in the USA is $130.

Post edited at 13:45
 Frank R. 01 Feb 2021
In reply to roddyp:

You are right of course, my mistake, must have confused the weights. Wouldn't be "nearly the same weight". Around 30% heavier, but still more useful and cheaper. The Stash pot is 141g, closest generic pot I could find now is 216g for 1 litre (I think there used to be a lighter & smaller one, but can't find it anymore).

I know, the price is premium for convenience and design and weight. No quarrel with that, it does look neat and nice! But somewhat of a niche luxury product, especially with what Dan notes about wind resistance. Plus I don't see much benefit of heat exchangers in summer, any fuel efficiency is often offset by the added weight over a normal pot.

Nice review overall though

Post edited at 13:54
 nufkin 01 Feb 2021

I agree the time to reach boiling isn't particularly here or there when actually camping; maybe the amount of gas used to reach boiling would be more pertinent?

so just like a globe trotter camping gaz but with half the pans

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/camping-gaz-globe-trotter.26154/

globe trotter 

450grams  16oz

min height 90mm  4'' 1/2

max height   148mm  5''  1/2

diameter  110mm 4 1/2''

Quoted water boil of  .5 Lt   5 minutes  twice the time so ok things do get better

burn time from a full cylinder  90mins   

Post edited at 16:40
 Basemetal 01 Feb 2021
In reply to Name Changed 34:

> so just like a globe trotter camping gaz but with half the pans

> globe trotter 

My first stove  Great until I got sand or gravel between the pans on a beach somewhere and couldn't open them! Ever again...

Rick Graham 01 Feb 2021
In reply to Name Changed 34:

> so just like a globe trotter camping gaz but with half the pans

> globe trotter 

> 450grams  16oz

> min height 90mm  4'' 1/2

> max height   148mm  5''  1/2

> diameter  110mm 4 1/2''

> Quoted water boil of  .5 Lt   5 minutes  twice the time so ok things do get better

> burn time from a full cylinder  90mins   

Cutting edge stove in 1976!

Still use mine but put longer legs on so can use standard gaz cartridges.

Lost one pan though

Rick Graham 01 Feb 2021
In reply to Basemetal:

> My first stove  Great until I got sand or gravel between the pans on a beach somewhere and couldn't open them! Ever again...

I will buy them off you if you still have them.

Basemetal 01 Feb 2021
In reply to Rick Graham:

Too late, sorry, that was 1979 and they've gone the way of all things...

Rick Graham 01 Feb 2021
In reply to Basemetal:

Ok, thanks. 

Out of interest, did you try soaking them in water to fill the inner pan. Heat  the pans to pressure them apart when the water boiled?

crayefish 01 Feb 2021

This looks like it will be even worse in the wind than the other jetboil stoves... not sure what it is trying to solve either.  OK its light, but volume-wize it isn't much off a far-superior MSR windburner which is regulated and can perform brilliantly in a hoodie.

Speaking of which, why was this compared to the Reactor?  Totally different purpose of stove.  Comparisons to the windburner would be much more helpful.

tony cave 05 Feb 2021

Excellent review.
I was sold on buying one until you mentioned the price.
My existing MSR pocket rocket ,100g gas ,handle for the pots and a small lighter fit into a pair of  Camping Gaz Globetrotter pans that I found on Ebay for £20.
I pair this with a 16cm non-stick frying pan bought new for £10 and I have a versatile ,compact cooking system for less than half the price,albeit with a small weight penalty.

Basemetal 06 Feb 2021

I know what was bugging me... This Jetboil burner doesn't connect to the pot at all, does it? That, and the pot insulation, was the original USP for me with Jetboils that meant they could reasonably safely be held (or hung) in use. That's what made them so handy as a winter  or mountain stove.

Losing the bayonet connection and its integral (if limited) shielding and so increasing the exposure of the burner to the wind and decreasing stability seem retrograde steps. Dropping the insulation will also increase boil times (and hence gas consumption). There was always the pan adaptor available if you wanted to use a non- bayonet fitting pot or frying pan or kettle, but with this unit there isn't an option to go the connected route.

My existing  PCS/SOL JB's aren't feeling remotely threatened by the new kid.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...