Backpack recommendations needed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jockodiounto 30 Jan 2021

Hi all,

Due to lockdown not allowing me to go out at all I find myself in the situation where I have a bit of spare cash lying around so I was thinking of a new backpack in readiness for being allowed out again.

I have £100 and am looking for something I can use for lightweight, long distance single nighters and with my current kit needs to be around 45 litres.

I have looked at Montane Trailblazer 44 and Lowe Alpine airzone pro 35-45. Are there any other recommendations people might have based on their experiences?

Much obliged.

Cheers 

BuzyG 30 Jan 2021
In reply to jockodiounto:

I can't help you with others, but I can give a thumbs up for the Lowe Alpine airzone pro 35-45.  I have one of those and it's proven a strong, comfortable and versatile. Sack

OP jockodiounto 30 Jan 2021
In reply to BuzyG:

Thanks for this. Is the external spiderplate thing big enough to take a fly sheet from a one man tunnel tent e.g. Zephyros 1 ?

Cheers

nathan79 30 Jan 2021

You mention the Montane Trailblazer 44 but did you take a look at the Montane Halogen 45? In terms of both price and weight it sits between the Trailblazer 44 and the Airzone pro. I've had one for a year or two and highly rate it.

OP jockodiounto 30 Jan 2021
In reply to nathan79:

Thanks - I will take a look.

Cheers

BuzyG 30 Jan 2021

I don't put much in the webing. Usually just a laminated map and a sit mat.  What activities do you want the pack for?  I use mine for mostly hill walking and climbing.  It has done a couple of long one day alpine climbs too.  But I have not wild camped for many a year.

Siward 30 Jan 2021

Something like this?

https://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/product/rucksacks-bags/climbing-alpineruck...

If not that model they make plenty others... 

Kryank 31 Jan 2021

I have a Deuter Guide 35+ (The last version not the current one) that is bombproof and I love it, they have a new lite range that got good reviews on here so may be worth checking out.

damowilk 31 Jan 2021

I’ve been through a lot of packs like this in the search for one that suits me.

I had the Trailblazer 44, it was comfortable, but the side pockets were unusable when the pack was full as they were too tight, and the hip belt pockets weren’t really proper hip belt pockets abs were hard to use on the go.

Next up was the Nigor Zero G: looked almost perfect for me on paper, but the back carry system was very uncomfortable for me, the metal pole dug into my back.

I’m now onto the Sierra Designs Flex Capacitor 40-60, and it seems pretty good so far after 1 weekend’s use. 

https://summiteerequipment.com/collections/rucksacks

How about this one? I haven't seen a Summiteer pack in the flesh but they sound like a great company.

OP jockodiounto 31 Jan 2021

Hi all - thanks for the replies. I have ordered the Lowe Alpine one but via Amazon Prime so have free returns. I am going to be using it for Wildcamping for a couple of nights at a time, so although it is relatively heavy, I think the back system will likely pay dividends.

I am going to chuck my gear in without knocking any of the tags and stuff so if it doesn't quite work, I can always send it back if needed.

Then I will have a couple mile walk around my town and then a backgarden wildcamp to see whether it works or not.

Thanks all again and I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...