Roof bar carrier for child's bike?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 27 Jan 2021

Daughter's new bike is a bit fiddly to fit in the boot of the car, so looking for a roof bar carrier to transport it.

I already have a couple of Thule fork-mount carriers and think this will fit in the same thing, but might go for a frame mount carrier that leaves the wheels in.

What do people recommend for this - it's got 20" wheels.

Thanks,

StuPoo2 27 Jan 2021
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Daughters frog bike fits my on my Thule 598 frame mount no probs.  Rock solid up there.  Think its a Frog 52/55 with 20" wheels.  The Thule wheel mounts slide in and out to fit any size bike.

If the family is growing the tow bar mounted Thule VeloCompact is a good investment (not cheap - and double if you need to put a tow bar on too!).  Would recommend.  When it's just me ... I use the thule on the roof bars - faster.  When its the whole family ... the VeloCompact comes out - less hassle for 4 bikes.

Tell us what you end up going for.

Jungle_153 28 Jan 2021

I use a Mont Blanc Barracuda that I've had for a while. Fits perfectly, the only reason I stopped using them for my bike was because it won't fit the wider tyres and the clamp won't reach my frame. But little'uns 20" wheel bike fits spot on.

n-stacey 28 Jan 2021

What type of roof bar carrier would you recommend for a child? 

OP LastBoyScout 22 Mar 2021
In reply to StuPoo2:

Picked up an older Thule Tour rack for £15 and that seems to just about fit and grips the downtube.

Mistake in the OP - I should have said 24" wheels.

Since posting, I've also seen a couple of cars with kids bikes on the 598 - gripping the top tube, rather than the downtube.

Reluctant to get a tow bar mounted one, as it's a company car and gets changed too often to keep having a new tow bar fitted.

chris_r 22 Mar 2021

Thule ProRide works perfectly for both of our 20" wheeled bikes (Islabike and Frog).

Crazylegs 22 Mar 2021

I've tried a few different car carrying setups over the last 10 years for my 2 adults + 2 kids bike car carrying requirements.  So this comes from my hindsight learning....

Firstly, kids grow and so do their bikes.  If you're happy to lift 4 bikes on and off the roof of your car, then the main advantage to having roof mounted racks is that you can leave them on (when not in use) if you're a frequent user (albeit with a slight fuel penalty).  Downsides are all the heavy overhead lifting, having to remember to chant "bikes, bikes, bikes" when there's any chance of encountering a car park barrier and the impact on your fuel economy especially driving into a headwind.  The Thule 598 style with windy ratchet clamp are really good and have put up with a lot of use and abuse from me.

However, as the kids have grown, it became a real chore lifting the bikes on and off the roof and my wife just isn't tall enough to reach the 2 racks in the middle.  So, we invested (and blimey it felt like one) in a towbar and a Thule Velocompact with extra 4th bike carrier.  It's a heavy beast that definitely needs some respect and technique in lifting on and off but.... once it's on, it's brilliant and so much easier to get bikes on and off.  Probably still has an effect on fuel economy but doesn't feel quite as bad.  Obviously a bit of care needed when reversing and parking.   Overall, I wish I'd bought it 10 years ago.

OP LastBoyScout 22 Mar 2021
In reply to Crazylegs:

Absolutely agree about height barriers and car parks - friend of mine nearly wrote both our bikes off once!

It's a bit of a pain putting the bikes on the roof, especially as it's an SUV, so quite high.

I always take the bike carriers off when not in use - avoids advertising there may be nice bikes where we live.

My old neighbour has a tow bar mounted carrier and loves it, but I can't currently justify the cost of a tow bar every time we change cars for the few occasions we need it.

StuPoo2 22 Mar 2021
In reply to Crazylegs:

> It's a heavy beast that definitely needs some respect and technique in lifting on and off but.... once it's on, it's brilliant and so much easier to get bikes on and off.  Probably still has an effect on fuel economy but doesn't feel quite as bad.  Obviously a bit of care needed when reversing and parking.   Overall, I wish I'd bought it 10 years ago.

+1 on everything you've said.  My OH too cannot lift the bikes up onto the roof.  I'd like to hope that the velocompact has a 10-15 yr life span.

If its of any value to anyone ... aside from thinking about the cost of a towbar + the cost of the velocompact .. also need to think about where you're going to store the thing when not in use.  You don't really want it sitting on the ground in the shed.  Solid yes - but the lights/electrics etc are plastic and might not do well getting an accidental kick.  I hang mine on the wall using 2x ladder hooks + pipe insulation.  Must make sure you're hanging it on a stud or block work.

It's also a 7 pin not the more modern 13 pin version.  Need an adaptor to step it down.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01JZGQ1LQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_...

StuPoo2 22 Mar 2021

£15 is a good price ... can't go too wrong at that!

d508934 24 Mar 2021
In reply to StuPoo2:

bit of a thread hijack, wondered if anyone has any tips for putting 4 rook carriers on at once. same as other on here, we have 2 adult bikes and two kids that get bigger each year. currently smallest kids bike fits in the boot but not for much longer.

have 2 Thule 532002 style carriers and thinking of getting two more, but no idea if they will all fit. is it just a case of alternating direciton of bikes so the handlebars don't clash?

like others the two bar otpion isn't really viable for us.

OP LastBoyScout 24 Mar 2021
In reply to d508934:

It depends on the bikes as to whether the handlebars clash, but generally, yes, alternate direction and you should be fine. Road bikes shouldn't be an issue, very wide MTB bars might be, depending on the width of your roof bars. Kids bars might hit adult size wheels.

Most problems can be sorted by loosening and turning the handlebars for the journey.

Make sure that if you put the carriers towards the edge of the roof that MTB bars aren't wider than your wing mirrors.

In reply to StuPoo2:

> £15 is a good price ... can't go too wrong at that!

Yes, or so I thought. Owner didn't have the T-track bolts and, rather than being cheap to get (as I thought), the 26mm ones needed for that rack are stupidly expensive!

One of the wheel holders is also broken, but that's not an issue with a kids bike.

d508934 24 Mar 2021

cheers. hadn't thought of handlebar rotation if needed, should work.

is the width no wider than wing mirrors a legal thing or just to minimise risks of scraping something without realising?

In reply to d508934:

> is the width no wider than wing mirrors a legal thing or just to minimise risks of scraping something without realising?

It's good practice, so you don't clobber the bars, as you can see the wing mirrors as a reference point.

My quick check on Google says:

"The projection of a load on a trailer or roof-rack may be up to 305mm on either side of the vehicle or trailer, provided that the overall width of the vehicle or trailer (including projections) does not exceed 2.9m."

Above that, you're an abnormal load and you'll need to involve the police.

CVI 26 Mar 2021
In reply to d508934:

I carry 4 adult size MTBs on the roof of our Dacia Sandero using Thule Prorides 591/598. As LBS says you need to alternate the bike direction and the lighter ones in the middle.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...