Buying camping gas in lockdown? Is it impossible?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Charlieq7076 27 Jan 2021

Hi all

I am trying to stock on on camping gas (for jetboil system not too precious on brand) for when the time come that we are allowed out and about again.

The problem I am facing is that most stores (I assume for some legal reason) don't ship the pressurised gas canisters. That and the fact shops are closed is making it impossible to acquire.

Has anyone found a way around this problem and got a source?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Charlie

Emilio Bachini 27 Jan 2021
In reply to Charlieq7076:

Go Outdoors is open. 

Sam W 27 Jan 2021

Find a big or well stocked supermarket?  Our local (decent size) independent sells things like camping gas.

Alternatively, plenty of options on ebay

OP Charlieq7076 27 Jan 2021
In reply to Emilio Bachini:

Thanks had not realised they were allowed to open!

In reply to Emilio Bachini:

> Go Outdoors is open. 

For click and collect, not browsing.

johnt 27 Jan 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

The Newcastle store is open - you can't try on any clothing although you can try on footwear and you can certainly walk around the store and select items to buy off the shelf.

In reply to johnt:

Weird; the one near me is certainly not open for browsing. And it's not a small store.

oldie 27 Jan 2021

Builders Merchants and DIY stores usually stock gas cartridges. Most seem to be open, or do delivery or Cllck and Collect.

Post edited at 14:06
 toad 27 Jan 2021

Some of the big outdoor retailers are exploiting the bike shop exemption as essential retail

Neil Williams 27 Jan 2021
In reply to toad:

> Some of the big outdoor retailers are exploiting the bike shop exemption as essential retail

It rather strikes me that anyone doing that should be allowed only to sell the items that would make it considered essential, not the full range.

Dark-Cloud 27 Jan 2021

As long as you are not anti Amazon they ship it no problems.

HardenClimber 27 Jan 2021

I think it is a royal mail regulation.

Other suppliers may use other couriers.

eg.

https://www.leisureoutlet.com/

tehmarks 27 Jan 2021

I can confirm that Decathlon is also open — not sure about for browsing, but definitely collection. I had a phone call from them earlier to ask if I planned on ever collecting the items I ordered just before lockdown.

Dog Dave 27 Jan 2021

Halfords also sell some gas canisters for camping stoves - not sure if they have the right one for your jetboil but if so their stores  are open

r0b 27 Jan 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> As long as you are not anti Amazon they ship it no problems.

This is how I got gas towards the end of lockdown 1 (I try not to use Amazon most of the time though!)

deepsoup 27 Jan 2021
In reply to tehmarks:

> I can confirm that Decathlon is also open — not sure about for browsing, but definitely collection.

Pre-paid 'click and collect' only here.  No browsing, no trying anything on.

johnt 27 Jan 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

GO are getting round it by claiming they are an 'essential retailer' i.e. they sell bikes.

They are quite happy for you to select and buy clothing instore without trying it on - i was told to try it on outside after purchase and if it wasn't right just bring it straight back for a refund.

I declined that option as I was after some trousers and didn't fancy stripping off in the car park.....

Donotello 27 Jan 2021

Argos sell camping gas. Most sainsburies have one inside now. 

Billhook 29 Jan 2021

Many garages & petrol stations sell various gas canisters.  We also have a 'General", store which is open - it sells at least 4 different types of canisters.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...