UKC

INTERVIEW: Andrew Cotter - Olive, Mabel, The Mountains & Me

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 25 Jan 2021

Mabel, Andrew Cotter and Olive. Buachaille Etive Mòr from Beinn a' Chrulaiste.

Sports broadcaster Andrew Cotter covers the BBC's major events including The Olympic Games, Wimbledon, The Masters, the Rugby World Cup and the World Athletics Championships. He's also a keen hillwalker and dabbles in climbing. We asked him about his Labradors' viral fame in lockdown, his love for mountains and dogs, Tokyo 2020 and his hill-filled book Olive, Mabel & Me: Life and Adventures with Two Very Good Dogs. 'Climbing mountains has always been an escape - it is for most people who head for the hills and certainly is for me. Getting away from the occasional madness below, more often than not accompanied by my dogs.'

In a locked-down world that had very much gone to the dogs, two unsuspecting canines became viral internet stars. It all started with a video called The Dog's Breakfast Grand Final, born out of boredom and posted to Twitter last March by their owner, sports broadcaster Andrew Cotter, who suddenly found himself devoid of sport. Olive the Labrador - "in her familiar black" - and her younger, yellow counterpart Mabel greedily engage in an eating contest. Cotter narrates the play-by-play in his familiar Scottish lilt that is typically a soundtrack to TV rugby or golf; Olive is '"focused, relentless, tasting absolutely nothing" and finishes first. Then comes the pay-off, a show of good sportsdogship: "Ah, you see the swapping of bowls at the end" as the pair desperately snuffle for leftovers.

Read more

deepsoup 25 Jan 2021
In reply to UKC Articles:

That's excellent.

toad 25 Jan 2021

I've really enjoyed the olive and mabel video, but I'm a big softy for labs

Sean Kelly 30 Jan 2021

Great interview and very enlightening. As the owner of Springers for over 30 years I know where he is coming from and where he has been. A walk through the Cairngorms with mine was one of the most memorable. But they do suffer in the snow what with snowball fur and cold feet. I had to retreat off y Garn when the dog refused to go on. As soon as I turned back he was happy. Yes it's all about reading your dog's language. Thanks for posting. Now to get the book...

In reply to Sean Kelly:

I really enjoyed the book. It's not the rushed-out read that you might expect given the short timeframe. Andrew is a great writer and there were a lot more mountain stories than I expected. It's funny that the publishers initially wanted to make it even more of a mountain book!

Jim Lancs 30 Jan 2021
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

I guess ultimately it's the dogs that are the stars! The US edition doesn't even have Andrew on the front cover. 

Welsh Kate 30 Jan 2021

The book is great!

I grew up with labradors, and love mountain walking. What more could you want from a well-written book about labradors and mountain walking? Especially as he talks about some of my favourite mountains!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...