Running... Gaiters?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 neuromancer 23 Jan 2021

It's grim out. Lovely running, but every 4th footstep is mid calf muddy water or worse around here.

I don't mind getting wet feet, although I think these inov8's are going in the bin as they absorb way too much water, but by the end of the run my shoes and socks are loaded with mud. 

What's the best mini gaiter? Not to keep out water, just chunks of crap.

Ultralightoutdoorgear says the montane via sock it is the lightest?

Herdwickmatt 23 Jan 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

My wife has the montane ones she likes them. I’ve never tried them but have often been tempted. Get some and let me know what you think!

wercat 23 Jan 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

army puttees, 1960s-70s style

In reply to neuromancer:

Doesn't seem worst than any winter I can remember. Did 10 miles in the Peak this morning. My Invo8s and Sealskinz socks did the business. Never used running gaitors but have mates you complain that if grit does get past them and into your shoe it's a hassle, with cold hands, removing them to get the shoe off.

Roadrunner6 23 Jan 2021
In reply to Deleated bagger:

> Doesn't seem worst than any winter I can remember. Did 10 miles in the Peak this morning. My Invo8s and Sealskinz socks did the business. Never used running gaitors but have mates you complain that if grit does get past them and into your shoe it's a hassle, with cold hands, removing them to get the shoe off.

I find them handy in snow, it just protects your ankle and tops of your shoes and I think they stop grit and stuff getting in them. But I only really wear them in powder to protect my ankles and feet from snow getting down. I run a lot here in very cold temperatures and dry conditions so my ankles can really crack up.

Chriswhoruns 23 Jan 2021

I had some of the sock gaiters, but only ran in the dry with them to stop stones and detritus getting into my shoes, and they did a good job. But like you my terrain is pretty grim at the moment and I was looking at these wrap round gaiters https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/sal1613/salomon-trail-gaiters-high-%7E-...

climb41 23 Jan 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

Not sure if these are what you are after, but they work well for me, 

https://www.ultramarathonrunningstore.com/Dirty-Girl-Gaiters-DNF-p/dggdnf.h...

Neil Williams 24 Jan 2021
In reply to Chriswhoruns:

I've long wondered about something like this.  I'm an "all weather shorts wearer", but one downside is that when it rains/snows/whatever it all goes down your leg and into your shoes/boots and your feet get wet.  Could do with something quite tight made of e.g. neoprene around my ankles, a loose fit over the shoes/boots would be fine.

Seems running gaiters are a thing which I didn't realise, have to get some.

Post edited at 00:24
 markk 24 Jan 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

> these inov8's are going in the bin as they absorb way too much water

Try painting them with Stormsure, heavily thinned with stormsure thinners (https://www.stormsure.com/solvent-for-stormsure-adhesive.html).

There's a video on the website that shows how to use it for this application. Worked a treat in stopping my Inov8 Orocs soaking up water.

PPP 24 Jan 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

I’ve got Inov-8 compatible gaiters that I haven’t bothered to try yet. I do run a fair bit (255 miles this year) but never really had an issue of not having gaiters. 

I just wear wool (if moving fast) or waterproof socks (if moving slower). Have done 32 miles in hills yesterday in tights, wool ankle socks and Mudcrawls G260 (v1). When crossing a river, just wiggle the feet a tiny bit. Shoelaces frozen and shoes/socks ended up muddy, but no blisters or issues. 

OP neuromancer 24 Jan 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

Hi all.

I think there's been some misunderstanding - neil, ppp. I'm not really sure why I'd need either sealskins waterproof socks (habit says those are only for wearing wet shoes whilst static, not running around), or a solution to stop water going into my shoes. You've just made each foot a hundred grams heavier for no gain. I just wear thinnish synthetic socks, but maybe I have pretty blister-immune feet (at least up to about 30k)? The best amount of waterproofing isn't going to help if I put my foot in a puddle of mud up to my knee?

But the small stones and lumpy mud that works its way down my socks or down the inside of my shoe and starts slowly grinding away the bottom of my foot is a nause.

If you want a tiny 'top of a walking boot' gaiter for snow, the La Sportiva Gasket is your jam (if you can find it - when I was last in the alps they were very de rigeur).

greg_may_ 24 Jan 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

I tend to find running through streams I past fixes the solution of mud and suchlike on my shes and socs...and is cheaper, and lighter, and less of a faff.

Any running gaiter I've tried or seen over the year has been a total waste of time. However, friends who have done (and finished) the MDS say they are highly necessary. 

steveriley 24 Jan 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

I tend to just suck it up with regular running socks and studs. I ran in the Carneddau before Christmas and descended through loads of crusty snow, breaking through and barking my ankles and shins every other step. Running gaiters might have helped there?

robert-hutton 24 Jan 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

Try neoprene socks, shoes get wet but they will keep your feet warm plus they don't hold the muck like socks.

OP neuromancer 24 Jan 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

Fixes the mud on the outside, appears not to remove all of the mud from the inside (unless I were to take my shoes off and rinse them out I guess, but we're hitting major hassle here).

I was sort of hoping someone had actually used any of the ones on the market. I'm next expecting to be told what I actually want are a pair of wellies.

Post edited at 15:34
 dovebiker 24 Jan 2021

I have some Raidlight ones - they have a lace hook on the front and some velcro on the back that does a good job of keeping them around my heel. I went running today around my local forest - it was -5C and shin-deep powder snow and did a great job of keeping the snow out of my shoes. They are made from a lightweight nylon so don't hold any water.

random_watcher 24 Jan 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

I recently (this winter) bought a pair of Rab Scree gaiters as they were half price, about £12, after getting crusty snow, ice and heather in some trail shoes resulting in me having to stop to remove the bits. 

So far so good, for the price I am happy with them and think I will get enough use out of them to justify buying.

deruiter14 24 Jan 2021
In reply to PPP:

I like the inov8 ones, clip on nicely to their shoes, dont use them often but when I do they work perfectly.

yorkshireman 25 Jan 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

I run almost exclusively trails and live in the alps so this time of year when I'm not XC skiing it will be bashing through snow so I find gaiters invaluable. I've got a pair of Salomon Snowcross which along with spikes on the tread have built-in gaiters which work a treat, but otherwise i just stick on the Decathlon's own-brand running gaiters (Kalenji) which I think were about €20.

They should work ok for stones and grit as well as they're not too thick. The only problem I find with them is (like at the moment) if there's really deep soft powder, it can force its way up under the gaiter and ball up inside.

In reply to neuromancer:

I use the Raidlight ones in the winter and love them. Found the Inov8 ones really annoying - they shrunk in the wash and the under strap was a massive pain

In the summer I use Dirty Girls and love them too

denis b 25 Jan 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

I can recommend these 

https://www.salomon.com/en-gb/shop-emea/product/trail-gaiters-high.html#col....

Great for keeping heather, bog, grit and mud at bay for long off trail routes. They take seconds to put on with gloves and an accommodating velcro fastener and are robust. I didn't buy them from that link.

MattL80 25 Jan 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

I have these, and have been very impressed. You don't know you're wearing them, and they keep everything out of the shoe (well, everything solid - maybe not water if you go shin deep ).

https://rockrun.com/products/kahtoola-insta-gaiter-gtx?utm_source=Google&am...

OP neuromancer 04 Feb 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

If anyone was still interested. I tried a few (Rab as an example) and they were pretty bad.

Ordered a pair of Alpkit Kantju's and they're great. Impossibly light and you barely notice them on.

I have size 9.5 shoes which technically puts me in the M/L bracket, but I ended up after trying on with S/M. For boots the ML makes sense, but for running shoes it's too loose at the top (and I have big calves) and at the bottom. The S/M are much more snug and just cover the top of the shoe, which is all you need really.

Also, they've updated the underfoot retainer since the photos on the website and all of the reviews. It's now an amsteel-like thin dyneema cord. Looks bomb proof.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...