Glue recommendations for soft shell seam repair

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SiWood 08 Jan 2021

Can anyone recommend a fabric glue for repair of seams around zip pockets on soft shell trousers. There seem to be lots of fabric glues on the market but a lot of reviews that they don’t work.

Any first hand recommendations won’t be sniffed at !!

mcawle 08 Jan 2021
In reply to SiWood:

Why wouldn't you stitch it? Could then reinforce with seam grip if you wanted to strengthen or seal it.

OP SiWood 08 Jan 2021
In reply to mcawle:

The pockets are currently glued not stitched so wanted to do like for like. 

Stitching would be a possibility if glue not possible

Post edited at 20:02
 mcawle 08 Jan 2021
In reply to SiWood:

Oh okay. Don't know if I've seen that before so a bit hard to visualise. I'd stitch it because I can't envisage a glued pocket staying glued (as you've found). Not that I'm an expert by any stretch, it's just what I've always done for repairs. Could try a combination of seam grip and tenacious tape perhaps depending on what exactly needs sticking back together.

Dark-Cloud 08 Jan 2021
In reply to SiWood:

I would imagine it’s heat sealed on rather than glued, I have had a few patch pockets start to peel off older mid layers, I just don’t bother and pull them off then use without the pocket.

If you really want to repair stitching will be the only reliable option.

Removed User 09 Jan 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> I would imagine it’s heat sealed on rather than glued, I have had a few patch pockets start to peel off older mid layers, I just don’t bother and pull them off then use without the pocket.

> If you really want to repair stitching will be the only reliable option.

This. Any bonding agent will heat sealed to above what a hot wash would be and a pain in the ass to achieve and possibly leave a scratchy, hardened residue.

Hand stitching should be fine. Any repair pr tailoring place will do it for bugger all if you're not into it. Small price to pay to keep good duds in the field.

CurlyStevo 09 Jan 2021
In reply to SiWood:

I would think Mcnett seam grip would work, it can even be used to patch holes in neoprene.

In reply to CurlyStevo:

Another vote for Seamsgrip. It’s what I’ve always used and has done a good, durable job each time.

OP SiWood 09 Jan 2021
In reply to SiWood:

thanks for the recommendations. Will try seamgrip as I have a tube. Failing that good old needle and thread. Two pairs of softshell pants otherwise perfectly serviceable but heat welded seams failing around mesh pockets so worth me making the effort to repair ( time is our friend at the moment)

In reply to SiWood:

Are you trying to replace tape seam sealing, or to repair a split bonded seam?

For the former, remove to old tape and replace with new iron-on seam seal tape.

For the latter, sewing is likely to be the most robust repair. The origianl seam is likely to be a thermally-activated glue tape; rather like iron-on seam seal tape, only just consisting of the glue layer.

OP SiWood 09 Jan 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

Yes bonded seams. Seam grip has failed to stick so going to sew. Problem is it’s the seams which attach the zip pickets to the soft shell material so a bit of sewing required. I was originally hoping to replicate the original bonded seam but gluing as suspected is useless. Whilst the trousers are old they are perfectly serviceable so trying to avoid replacing with new.

Post edited at 18:39
 Toerag 10 Jan 2021
In reply to SiWood:

> Seam grip has failed to stick so going to sew. 

That's interesting because polyurethane adhesives are about the best you can get.  Is there' a strong DWR on the item?  That could be what's stopping the glue from sticking.  Maybe their sil-nylon glue would work?

freeflyer 10 Jan 2021
In reply to SiWood:

Another possibility is sail tape or similar. Someone recently mentioned it here:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/gear/seeking_advice-_bouldering_mat_massi...

I've used it to 'repair' a hole in ski trousers, and it's still there after a few years.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...