LLa Sportiva Ultra Raptor in the mud

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 glenn0010 08 Jan 2021

Hi,

Does any one have the la sportiva ultra raptor? If so how is it in the mud? As the grip on it looks a bit slick for mud. 

Seeing as in the uk there is mud pretty much year round on the trails I was thinking the la sportiva tempesta might be a better fit

Cheers 

Glenn

Duncan Beard 03 Feb 2021
In reply to glenn0010:

They don't appear slick to me. I don't run much but I used a pair for a 12k mudder event, they were superb. There was one section up a steep muddy trail where most people were clinging to the trees at the side. It was so steep that I could not run but I just walked past dozens of people straight up the middle. Given that I have basically zero dorsiflexion so I did this mostly on my forefoot I thought it was very impressive. The cleats are harder than the rest of the sole & quite agressive. I bought a second pair as soon as I saw some on a special offer, still in box atm.

neuromancer 04 Feb 2021
In reply to glenn0010:

I've had a few different sportiva trail shoes and they've all been awful on proper mud. You only have to look at the depth of the tread and compare it to something like a mudclaw or xtalon, or even a Salomon cross pro or speed 2, and it's night and day. 

That said, if you actually mean 'hardpack that is sometimes wet', then go for it. 

I liked them for running on rocky trails and scrambling in the lakes; woody fells not so much. 

OP glenn0010 04 Feb 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

I've since bought the La sportiva Mutant, (mud specific shoe). Probbly but about 100 km on it now. I really like it. 

It's really good on mud. I would say comparable to the mudclaws maybe not quite as good, but gives them a good run for their money. 

I prefer it as it has more cushioning (for ultras) than the mudclaw and you don't feel big rocks through your foot as much comared to the claw.

Dark-Cloud 04 Feb 2021
In reply to glenn0010:

> I've since bought the La sportiva Mutant, (mud specific shoe). Probably but about 100 km on it now. I really like it. 

I'm 100 miles into a pair of Mutants and liking them, mud specific certainly isn't how La Sportiva describe them but they have got reasonable grip, similar to a Speedcross I would say

oldbloke 05 Feb 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Another Mutant convert from mudclaws here.  They've handled all the slop, snow, ice etc that I've chucked them at in the last 3 months whilst being more comfortable over distance and the street / gravel sections to and from the sloppy bits.  

In reply to glenn0010:

Without wishing to sound like we're all on payroll - or part of a wider conspiracy - I'd cast another vote for the Mutant.

I'm on my second/third pair, as I got on so well with the first that I figured I'd get two pairs in use side-by-side, so that as/when I do the Bob Graham I've got something to change into.

What I like the most about the Mutants isn't just the fact that they can handle mud - it's that they can handle pretty much anything. There's plenty of cushioning, which means that they can also handle harder pack trail as/when you hit it. The only caveat I'd give to that is that they've got quite a large drop, which can affect their stability (although I've never personally had a problem with this).

The only issue I've personally had is with the lacing, as they always seem to go in the same place - is this just me or has anyone else experienced this?! It's the only fault I can find in terms of craftsmanship, but is one that's incredibly frustrating given how quickly it seems to occur!

greg_may_ 05 Feb 2021
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Not noticed that in mine, perhaps how you've laced yours?

At least you can replace laces, unlike the crappy uppers of Mudclaws. My last pair did 27km before they tore. Pair before that 108km. Done with Inov8 for the foreseeable future.

Post edited at 18:55
 neuromancer 05 Feb 2021
In reply to glenn0010:

I've had a pair of Crossovers, from which they took the mutant sole. They were ok, not as good as my salomon cross/pro's or my s/lab speed 2's in the mud. The lugs are reasonably deep, but pretty close together.. Speedcross's  have too much heel counter for offroad running, you're just inviting ankle rolls.

I just had a look at mutants...340g for a trail shoe? That's not to mention the 10mm drop. Guess they're a heel striker's shoe. Glad you found something you like, but not for my feet!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...