Head torches

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 03 Jan 2021

Hi All. My old LED Lenser head torch has packed up after quite a few years of good service. It's the 300 lumens one. I've been using it for running and early morning walk in's. I'm thinking of just replacing it directly with similar. It's done pretty much everything I've asked of it at a reasonable price....around £55 ish. Minor quibbles....maybe a little bulky and the red light at the back has a habit of switching on in your pack. Before I do that I thought I'd see if anyone had another recommendation for a better running torch. Thanks in advance.

Lrunner 03 Jan 2021
In reply to Removed Useralastairmac1:

For value for money the Alpkit range is pretty good. I also use a Petzl Myo which are £80 plus but I have had it for 9 years in all weather and its still perfect. Just take the batteries out when not in use. Its bulky but that doesn't bother me. Excellent value for money I'd recommend spending the extra few quid

LR

Edit.

I think the Myo XP is long discontinued. Recomend Petz nonetheless.

Post edited at 16:10
 Mooncat 03 Jan 2021

Don't know if they'd suit your purposes but there are a few different black diamond headtorches on Sportpursuit. 

SouthernSteve 03 Jan 2021

Head torch thread a few months ago: There was masses of information and opinion.

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/gear/head_torch_for_night_navigation-7242...

girlymonkey 03 Jan 2021

Fenix do some amazing ones. Mine has a 1000 lumen spot on it and my husband just got the next model up with a 1400 lumen spot! I tend to run a lot of the time with it on a lower flood setting but when I want the spot, I really appreciate it!

Michael Hood 03 Jan 2021
In reply to Lrunner:

Myo XP - as worn by Jasmin Paris on the Spine race a couple of years ago - and by me 😁

I did wonder why Myo XPs are popular amongst the ultra people (she wasn't the only one), presumably they're more reliable than some of the newer stuff (as long as you'd got the version that was after the "weak cable entry to body" fault - which Lyon replaced for free - for me at least).

Removed User 04 Jan 2021

I've been using a Petzl Bindi the last year or so. Aside from went I forget to recharge it it's quite good for streets and open, easy terrain. For anything more serious I use a Silva military thing with green light option and chest mounted as it's better for detail closer where you want it on more featured terrain.

Sam W 04 Jan 2021

Following on from this thread https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/gear/new_headtorch_-_running_and_occasion...

I went for a Fenix HM50R.  Planning to post a mini-review sometime, but the very mini version is:

Pros

• Very good build quality
  • Quantity and spread of light is excellent, very rarely need max power
  • Easily replaced, rechargeable battery
  • Overall weight is reasonable

Cons

• All the weight sits on your forehead, tends to bounce a bit when running

I'm happy with it for what I wanted, mostly running but occasional skiing/mountaineering, would be interested to try it side by side with the Petzl Swift RL which may be a better pure running headtorch

Roadrunner6 04 Jan 2021

I spent $70 on a fancy Petzl one that lasted a year, I just spent $15 on a cheap knock off which is fine, it's rechargable. It depends what you need though, I also have a hand held bike light I use if I'm on more technical terrain and need to nav.

StefanB 04 Jan 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

This! I spent a small fortune some time ago on one of these dynamic Petzl torches that adjust the type lighting according to conditions, and it didn't do anything special to me under normal circumstances and failed completely in the mist.

The Fenix torches already mentioned work very well and are cheap. I got a 60 something. Simple power adjustments, waterproof and bright enough for technical trails. I just have to remember not to leave it on full power, or will run out of battery quickly.

cathsullivan 04 Jan 2021

I use an alpkit qark for running.  It was almost the only bright head torch I could find that wasn't entirely reliant on a rechargeable battery.  It's good value, very bright and the fact that it takes either AAA or the rechargeable battery is important for me as I know I won't always be able to recharge the battery before I need the torch (either because of location or because I want to do something in the dark at short notice and therefore haven't charged it).

It charges fairly fast and is bright enough for night navigation. Fairly lightweight and comfortable.

The only minus point for me is that it's a bit prone to switching itself on in my bag.  But I prevent that by just carrying the battery separately.

Removed User 04 Jan 2021

Thanks for all the responses.....but my LED Lenser head torch has just sprang back into life this morning. So it wins my recommendation for resilience and longevity. At least for now. But I'll keep all the suggestions in mind for whenever I do need to replace....thanks again.

Ridge 04 Jan 2021

What model LED lenser is it? I can lock mine to prevent the main beam or backlight switching on in transit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...