French press coffee maker 500 ml max

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mick taylor 14 Dec 2020

For a Xmas present, up to £40 max. Any recommendations?

TobyA 14 Dec 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

The little ones are few a quid from IKEA and work perfectly fine, I suspect even if you got a dept store and get an Italian branded one it will only be a tenner or so.

Andy Hardy 14 Dec 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Aeropress

Jamie Wakeham 14 Dec 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Skoda Octavia.

(I agree - Aeropress all the way. Unbreakable, and to my taste rather better coffee)

ben b 14 Dec 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Yep, Aeropress. Inverted brew method.

It depends if the recipient wants a nice looking cafetière, or a really good cup of coffee though. The two things are mutually exclusive as far as I can tell.

b

mick taylor 14 Dec 2020
In reply to ben b:

I’m buying two: one for someone were aesthetics are crucial, one for someone were taste is crucial. Never heard of the aeropress, will get one though, so thanks all.  

Y Gribin 14 Dec 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Well Bodum or Le Cafetiere are the obvious suggestions.....you can often find both in TK Maxx.

Stainless steel ones look nice, are less breakable, and keep your coffee warm:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Groenenberg-Cafetière-Stainless-Double-wall...

mike123 14 Dec 2020
In reply to mick taylor: French press and aero press two very different things . Aero press great for camping ( once you figure out how to keep in stable and not constantly knock it over ) I'm on my third and  wouldn't be without one . Makes coffee by pushing water through the coffee and then a filter paper  at pressure with a plunger and looks a bit like a mini bong . Loads of vids on you tube . Use it upside down For best results . A French press is a cafetière and also makes good coffee but much more faffy  to get right. Better for making a brew for there or four people . I ve got a nice stain steal one that I was bought as a present and also use loads. Also  Makes nice coffee . I break the glass ones . 

https://www.procook.co.uk/product/procook-satin-stainless-steel-double-wall...

Post edited at 22:15
 mike123 14 Dec 2020
In reply to mick taylor: tried to edit my post but can't . I'm sure you can get the one I linked to in 0.5 L

Also stainless one keeps the coffee hotter longer .

Post edited at 22:18
In reply to mike123:

What did you do to the first two? 

gravy 14 Dec 2020
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

Not exactly unbreakable - I've worn three out...

In reply to gravy:

You know the rubber part that makes the seal is replaceable, right? Or have the hard plastic parts worn out?

mike123 14 Dec 2020
In reply to Jamie Wake-ham

come to think of it , present one is my number 4  and that's not counting ones bought as gifts .

1. One of the very early clear plastic ones . They don't like dish washers . Plastic fatigued and cracked 

2. We'll used . Gave it to polish guy who was camping at the crag somewhere in Spain , maybe sella, maybe not ,  and after he raved so much about it I   Couldn't resist  . (It was probably a scam and he sold it for meth.)

3. Wore out the seal . Kept and then re Used the black bit when I lost one . 

4. Sitting by the kettle right now . 

Post edited at 22:49
cb294 14 Dec 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

French press is for low volume wimps. What you REALLY need is a Nalgene bottle and this:

https://www.rei.com/product/750397/gsi-outdoors-h2jo-coffee-filter

Just bought another one as a Christmas present for my daughter.

CB

mick taylor 14 Dec 2020
In reply to mike123:

I will also be getting one of those, 500 ml version. 

Thanks all. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...