Petzl Shunt alternative for solo climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JLS 12 Dec 2020

Is a Petzl Shunt still the most practical solution to protecting solo climbing a fixed rope?

I’ve got a couple of shunts but they must be ancient by now so was thinking of replacing them with a new device for added confidence.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

crayefish 12 Dec 2020
In reply to JLS:

I think there are a tonne of posts with the same question (answered), including one recently.  As far as I am aware, the Petzl Traxion is the modern tool for the job (aside from the usual knot tricks).  Though there is some new gadget from Beal that looks pretty similar.

Post edited at 11:12
OP JLS 12 Dec 2020
In reply to crayefish:

Thanks. I’ll have a look at the Traxion.

OP JLS 12 Dec 2020
In reply to Prof. Outdoors:

Cheers.

Those threads lead my to an Andy Kirkpatrick blog post which in turn pointed my towards a DMM Buddy. I’ve ordered the Buddy rather than the Traction and we’ll see how I get on with that. Going to experiment with backing up the Buddy with a shut on a separate line. 

teddy 12 Dec 2020

Dave MacLeod uses a shunt all the time, it must be half decent.

crayefish 12 Dec 2020
In reply to JLS:

Wasn't aware of the Buddy, but looks much kinder on the ropes.  And DMM make the best climbing in my view

Luke90 12 Dec 2020
In reply to JLS:

I'd not heard of the buddy before but the specs are pretty restrictive on rope diameter. Hope you've got a fat rope in mind.

OP JLS 12 Dec 2020
In reply to Luke90:

Seems to geared towards use on semi static rope which is mostly 10.5 these days.

I bought a new semi static earlier in the year so I should be good to go.

Post edited at 18:58

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...