Outdoor Trousers // Recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Joel Perkin 29 Nov 2020

Evening...

I'm looking for some new outdoor trousers, something which I can wear whilst rock climbing and mountaineering. However, it would seem that since the last time I purchased trousers, prices have become pretty obscene. Maybe I'm just too much of a cheap skate.

Can anyone recommend any reasonably priced, reasonable quality trousers, suitable for climbing, mountaineering and tramping across the moors?

GrantM 29 Nov 2020
In reply to Joel Perkin:

Craghoppers Kiwi Pro stretch, can usually get them for £30ish

olddirtydoggy 29 Nov 2020
In reply to Joel Perkin:

Decathalon, anything from their Simond range. I've found the material might bobble a little but that's fine if it's just for a bit of climbing and whatever. They do a heavy mountaineering alpinism trouser and a lighter stretch hiking/climbing pair, we use both.

GrahamD 29 Nov 2020
In reply to Joel Perkin:

Ron Hills

In reply to Joel Perkin:

What’s your budget?

Alpkit Ardent are a good stretch woven softshell trousers for less than £100. Great for autumn, spring and winter. My only gripe is they’re only available in black. 

https://alpkit.com/collections/mens-trousers-and-shorts/products/ardent-men...

Alpkit Teleki are a well cut trouser that I find great for climbing and scrambling in during the hotter months. Great value at £40.

https://alpkit.com/collections/mens-trousers-and-shorts/products/teleki-pan...

Both are available in short, reg, and long, which is handy if you’re a weird shape.

Tom (supported to by Alpkit)

In reply to olddirtydoggy:

> Decathalon, anything from their Simond range

Or their Quechua Forclaz range. Both lightweight and winter weight. Between £25:and £50. Quite possibly still in their sales  too.

JoshOvki 29 Nov 2020
In reply to Joel Perkin:

Keela Scuffers  from me. I wear them all over the place, climbing, mountaineering, skiing (tore my salopettes), and traipsing through muddy fields or stomping down on brambles. 

Andypeak 30 Nov 2020

> Decathalon, anything from their Simond range. I've found the material might bobble a little but that's fine if it's just for a bit of climbing and whatever. They do a heavy mountaineering alpinism trouser and a lighter stretch hiking/climbing pair, we use both.

Be aware they are very narrow in the legs though. I can't wear them and even if I size up 2 sizes they are still too tight which is a real shame as they seem really nice quality and good value. 

GCO 30 Nov 2020
In reply to Joel Perkin:

I’m sure I saw Montane Terra pants heavily discounted somewhere recently. They’d be suitable for a wide range of climbing activities and, crucially, are reinforced in all the right places so are very durable.

olddirtydoggy 30 Nov 2020
In reply to GCO:

I got 3 pairs of these I use for the summer but find them a bit cold in the winter months. I also find the cut of the legs a bit shorter than other brands so I get a long leg version. Montane do a stretch version of these that might be better for climbing. Their factory shop sometimes has some on thier Ebay store.

girlymonkey 30 Nov 2020
In reply to Joel Perkin:

Get on eBay, search outdoor trousers and set the filter to Used. Save the planet and some money! (Or similar Facebook groups or keep an eye on the for sale forum on here.)

shuffle 30 Nov 2020

Terra Missions are really good for winter. Heavier weight, good scuff patches and pretty warm. 

GCO 30 Nov 2020

Yes, I would agree about their limitations for winter. But overall I reckon a pretty good mountaineering trouser. I’ve got a couple pairs and use them for climbing, but I have a preference for mountain, multi-pitch (and lowish grades - up to HVS), so what most would consider mountaineering. 

I reckon it was at gooutdoors that I saw them discounted - £68 at present.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...