Warmest hat?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jackth 25 Nov 2020

I'm thinking about something like the Lowe Alpine mountain cap but with thick micropile/primaloft or summut else warm (thick wool?). In Winter in Scotland or Iceland (where I'm now based), I can't really find summut that does the trick when it's say -3 or colder and at least 10m/s.

I use a combo of merino wool balaclava, fibre-pile windproof hat + assorted hoods, but it's pretty faffy and I was thinking there must be a hat out there that can keep me noggin warm and which I can just take off if it gets too hot. But I can't find owt. Any tips? What do others use? 

Doug 25 Nov 2020
In reply to jackth:

I've occasionally worn a fleece balaclava under a Lowe mountain cap & that's been fine down to -20 something & windy.

neuromancer 25 Nov 2020
In reply to jackth:

Look on wiggle, their own brand DHB does a softshell polartec alpha direct peaked cap with ear covers.

Brilliant.

Alternatively, switch to a hooded midlayer and wear this over or under whatever cap you like.

Post edited at 13:53
 olddirtydoggy 25 Nov 2020
In reply to jackth:

You considered a balaclava and neck gaiter? I got a fleece Berghaus neck gaiter for standing around and I was amazed how much warmer my head stayed.

I would have thought a fibre pile hat under a jacket hood would do the job.

OwenM 25 Nov 2020
In reply to jackth:

A Reed fleece beany https://www.chillcheater.com/transpire-fleece-beanie-13310 under a Lowe Alpine cap.

If it's really wind a neoprene face mask and fleece neck gaiter. 

HeMa 25 Nov 2020
In reply to jackth:

Something similar to Fjällräven Nordic Heater. Certainly not vegan (nor necessary stylish), but warm. 

mostly too warm in fact. 

hang_about 25 Nov 2020
In reply to jackth:

As someone who is follically challenged then I sympathise.

Hats with ear flaps when it's really cold. I was given some windproof 'tube' like things for cycling that you can pull down over your ears as well, but push them up/down easily to get them out of the way. Layer concept helps for heads. Neck protection really helps.

Worked for skiing down to -40 oC.

Reminds me of an amusing event. Having bought additional hats for such cold weather, my brother and I headed off to get lift tickets. Most locals thought we were mad, but if you've only got a week....

Anyway - very pretty lass behind the desk. Says to my brother "Do you know you've got your hat on backwards!" Still get mileage out of that nearly 30 years later!

Graeme G 25 Nov 2020
In reply to jackth:

This one. I’m thinking you’d be roasting hot as your blood would be boiling, realising how much you’d paid for a beanie.

https://www.harveynichols.com/brand/moncler/411360-grey-pompom-wool-blend-b...

dovebiker 25 Nov 2020

I agree on the Fjallraven Nordic Heater - I did a 5-day unsupported fat bike event in the arctic winter and it was too warm above -20C,  so I would only usually put it on when it got dark or on the final day where it was -25C.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/IDJ3XGll.png[/img][/url]

Post edited at 17:23
 earlsdonwhu 25 Nov 2020
In reply to jackth:

Silk balaclava under something thicker and more windproof.

EdS 26 Nov 2020
In reply to jackth:

Stormy Kromer Cap

https://www.stormykromer.com/the-original-stormy-kromer-cap/

You know deep down you want to........

gravy 26 Nov 2020
In reply to jackth:

Not a hat but I rate a buff (other brands available) from the ears down to be the most effective warmth per gram of weight carried you can get in all conditions. For really bad conditions I carry two, one ears down, one ears up used in conjunction with other items and for really, really bad conditions I have a double length one with a thing fibre pile section that is toast.

OP jackth 26 Nov 2020

Thanks all for the great replies. I always use hooded midlayers (sometimes more than one!) and do use the hoods for layering on me head, though it sometimes feels a lall restrictive/faffy as mentioned. 

Also, usually use a polar buff and/or wool balaclava. Usually carry a fleece neck gaiter but rarely use it, though do appreciate the need to keep the neck insulated. The polartec alpha options look excellent actually. Think I will get one and experiment. Fleece balaclava under mountain cap also a good shout.

The montane down hat looks interesting--anyone tried it? 

As does the Nordic heater, which apparently is fake fur so wouldn't make me feel tooo guilty. Those who used the Nordic heater--was the one you were using real fur or the current version. 

Ta once again for the replies--certainly more ideas to try.

HeMa 26 Nov 2020
In reply to jackth:

> As does the Nordic heater, which apparently is fake fur so wouldn't make me feel tooo guilty. Those who used the Nordic heater--was the one you were using real fur or the current version. 

I think we have a both real fur version and a cheapo synth one. There might be benefit for the real deal, but for majority of the time even the synth one is too warm.

Fjällräven is spendy (so the Nordic Heater), but similar design hats are generally readily available at hunting or hardware stores in the Nordic countries. I recall I paid like 10 Eur for my cheapo one. Not as nice as my wifes Fjällräven, but as said still really warm.

In reply to HeMa:

> but similar design hats are generally readily available at hunting or hardware stores in the Nordic countries

I did think that maybe the Icelanders might have come up with headgear suitable for their conditions...

Jones_88 26 Nov 2020
In reply to jackth:

It took me years of ear aches and many buys  to find my perfect hat, but never fear I have the answer!

I suffer terribly from ear aches and the cold, and work outdoors  in all weathers as well as heading to Scotland for winter conditions. I found the  Outdoor research Peruvian  hat below so good I bought a second incase they ever stop making them! I’ve had mine for about 8 years now and It still looks Like new. 
It feels fully windproof to me, although I’m  not sure that’s possible unless it’s made out of plastic? It doesn’t blow off or move under a helmet and is quite thin, yet very warm, if not too warm sometimes. Which is not a bad thing!

The only downside is the style, but who cares when you’ve got a warm head in a 60mph white out?!

I've also recently discovered that wearing a Patagonia RG1 with a full hood under a hard or soft shell hood keeps my ears and head perfectly comfortable, and is a very simple way of regulating temperature if you need to loose heat. In the absolute  worst conditions  I wear the RG1 hoodie with the outdoor research hat and feel as warm And comfortable as I would in my living room, and not too sweaty ! 

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/peruvian-hat-243546?cat=14,4,402

https://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-r1-regulator-fleece-pullover-hoody/4...

Hope this helps. 

Jones_88 26 Nov 2020
In reply to jackth:

It took me years of ear aches and many buys  to find my perfect hat, but never fear I have the answer!

I suffer terribly from ear aches and the cold, and work outdoors  in all weathers as well as heading to Scotland for winter conditions. I found the  Outdoor research Peruvian  hat below so good I bought a second incase they ever stop making them! I’ve had mine for about 8 years now and It still looks Like new. 
It feels fully windproof to me, although I’m  not sure that’s possible unless it’s made out of plastic? It doesn’t blow off or move under a helmet and is quite thin, yet very warm, if not too warm sometimes. Which is not a bad thing!

The only downside is the style, but who cares when you’ve got a warm head in a 60mph white out?!

I've also recently discovered that wearing a Patagonia RG1 with a full hood under a hard or soft shell hood keeps my ears and head perfectly comfortable, and is a very simple way of regulating temperature if you need to loose heat. In the absolute  worst conditions  I wear the RG1 hoodie with the outdoor research hat and feel as warm And comfortable as I would in my living room, and not too sweaty ! 

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/peruvian-hat-243546?cat=14,4,402

https://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-r1-regulator-fleece-pullover-hoody/4...

Hope this helps. 

In reply to Jones_88:

> It feels fully windproof to me, although I’m  not sure that’s possible unless it’s made out of plastic?

It's made entirely from plastic; polyester fleece, and, more significantly, a PTFE gore-tex membrane. It's that membrane that provides the wind resistance.

Dave the Rave 27 Nov 2020
In reply to jackth:

Back in the early 2000’s Ibought the Winter version of the Lowe Mountain cap.

If you can find one it may be what you’re looking for.

Waterproof shell, some thick, very warm ? Polar guard insulation and long ear flaps that fasten under your chin still with insulation.

SFM 28 Nov 2020
In reply to jackth:

Montane do two insulated mountain caps that cover the ears. One with down and one with primaloft. Don’t think they waterproof though. 
Marmot do a waterproof Precip and Driclime lined mountain cap too but might not be warm enough for your needs. 

Jayhigh 30 Nov 2020
In reply to jackth:

PhD made a proper down hat a few years ago. It looks a little silly but it's very warm.

It doesn't appear on their website now but I'm sure they would make you one if asked - they seem good at bespoke/customised items.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...