NEWSFLASH: Hamish MacInnes dies aged 90

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 23 Nov 2020
Hamish MacInnes with one of his early mountain rescue dogs.

Scottish climber, inventor and mountain safety pioneer Hamish MacInnes has died aged 90 at his Highland home in Glencoe.

Read more
 Doug 23 Nov 2020
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

see https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/off_belay/rip_hamish_macinnes-728095

Maybe some proof reading would be in order as "MacInnes climbed the Matterhorn at the age of 16 and joined Chris Bonington's Everest expedition in 1953." can't be correct.

Post edited at 16:36
 nufkin 23 Nov 2020

Sad news. I always secretly hoped he might be in the Clachaig whenever I've gone in, just for some at-a-distance hero spotting

Southvillain 23 Nov 2020

I watched that documentary only last week. It's well worth seeing, not only for the wonderful archive and the appreciation of all that he achieved in climbing (and safety), but also for an appreciation of the bravery of the man in discussing his recent hospitalization in such honest terms. It's not `mentioned in passing' or `glided over' but kicks off the film and is stripped right through it.  

robertmichaellovell Global Crag Moderator 23 Nov 2020
In reply to Doug:

His own account has him as 18 for his solo ascent of the Matterhorn... pretty incredible really. 

Such a massive contribution to the mountaineering and rescue community, a true legend - what a loss.

DerwentDiluted 23 Nov 2020

Sad news, I took my first roped moves with him belaying me, and for a while, saw him a lot. I spent a lot of my summer holidays as a child staying on a croft on Loch Torridon between Alligin and Diabaig. Hamish had a cabin in the next bay along the shore, and knew the crofts owner and my Grandfather well, we would regularly row round and see him and his American girlfriend. I loved his stories about the Alps and the Himalayas and my sister loved hearing about Sean Connery and Clint Eastwood. It was always a treat to go to his cabin and row back in the dark.  He set up a rope for me up a small slab and... 40 years later I still fart about on rocks. It was only when I got properly into climbing in my 20's that I realised quite what a gnarly visionary he was.

Cheers Hamish.

JimR 23 Nov 2020
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Sad news, one of the greats in Scottish climbing history. Met him once when we ran down to his cottage from the base of YoYo when a passing walker had a bad accident and mountain rescue was needed. Had a long chat with him, very interesting man.

nigel n 23 Nov 2020
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

The American girlfriend would I think be Betsy Brantley who he met whilst working on "Five days one summer"

Jamie Hageman 23 Nov 2020
In reply to nufkin:

Maybe not the Clachaig, but he used to go to Crafts and Things in Glencoe village very regularly.  Once I met him in the Coop in Ballachulish years ago.  I plucked up the courage to talk to him and he was very welcoming and ethusiastic.  He signed some of my ice axes and I drew him Liathach.  He was so unbelieveably busy, all of the time - always writing, editing, sorting through photos, making films, doing talks, charity work, rescue team work, designing, building... incredible.  I hope his vast collections of mountaineering equipment, camera gear, photos, films and literature are preserved and documented.  He was a very clever person indeed, and his first ascents and expeditions all over the world are amazing and inspiring.  Crikey, what a guy.  Go Hamish!

Jamie Hageman 23 Nov 2020

...and he was driving his 911 Turbo into his 80s

Seymore Butt 23 Nov 2020

Sad news. It was only the a couple of weeks ago i watched the TV programme of his life, very moving and amusing indeed. I remember In the early 60,s he gave me and my mate lift up Glencoe in his van. I sat in the back with his rescue dogs, he assured me they were friendly.

Lovely and inspirational man RIP.

fmck 24 Nov 2020

This really was awful news but he had an amazing life and a long one at that. I used to sit in the local library as a school boy  endless time and again going over the "Scottish climbs" books. I remember seeing An Sgurr. Isle of Eigg for the first time in one of them. I couldnt understand although very young I had never seen a picture before of such an amazing looking hill. Sad day.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...