Gear cupboard

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Philip 16 Nov 2020

Looking for ideas (other than IKEA) for building an outdoor gear storage cupboard. Originally I was going for 2x 100cm IKEA cupboards, 230cm high and 60cm deep. Looking to store boxes of gear, rack of coats, boats, tents.

To avoid mold problems from clothing now considering 2 x50cm cupboards with an open 100cm rail and shoe rack with a bridging cupboard over the top.

I guess many will have build similar, any tips or suggestions for alternatives starting points to IKEA cupboards. Will probably try to reuse 2nd hand stuff from eBay/FB to be as environmentally friendly as possible.

Pbob 16 Nov 2020
In reply to Philip:

I was faced by the same problem and had a look on ebay. A few minutes later I was the owner of a cupboard tailor made for the exact purpose that someone's son had got bored of. What are the odds? Works a treat too.

Ridge 16 Nov 2020
In reply to Philip:

Depending on where you want to locate them you could build your own?

I'm not much good at DIY, but I racked out the back of the utility room (some old Ikea sheving units cut to fit) plus a length of steel pipe for a coat rail.

I then build a stud wall in front of it with two cheap B&Q internal doors set into it and put some cheap wooden cladding in the gaps. Quick lick of paint and it actually looked ok.

marsbar 16 Nov 2020
In reply to Philip:

You could try furniture charity shops for wardrobes or cupboards to reuse.  Sue Ryder and British Heart Foundation in many places, and various local furniture projects.  

Pedro 16 Nov 2020
In reply to Philip:

I used a white wood wardrobe which I removed the back from then cut it down to approx 30cm deep.

Using narrow alloy tube I made rail to clip gear to and shelves for boxes made up the rest. I didn't need to hang clothing though. Hope That helps.

olddirtydoggy 16 Nov 2020
In reply to Philip:

I know you said no Ikea but here's what we found for what it's worth. We trawled the second hand market and had a look at some of the draw packs that could have been adapted. There's some smart storage ideas for bedroom from companies like Sharps that could have some really good crossover use for climbing kit. The important thing for us was functionality.

In the end, after pricing up sheet material and all the faff to get the various parts, we ended up at Ikea as the alternatives couldn't beat them. Using their system we were able to maximise the small spare bedroom and get all our kit organised into open fronted carcasses. The boot drawers, steel mesh draw packs and hanging options have been fantastic.

We've had it 2 years and getting kit ready for everything from sea kayaking to all the various climbing to all the hiking and camping is now so much easier. I just wish we could have found something else as I absolutely hate Ikea. Will be interesting to see if you find something better.

Post edited at 22:52
 Timmd 16 Nov 2020
In reply to Philip:

How outdoor is outdoor? IIRC even when in plastic boxes or bin liners, clothing can 'smell foosty' as my Mum would have said, damp can be surprisingly penetrative. 

Edit: Foosty is Scottish for musty or mouldy, or can be applied to inadequately aired clothing, in case you haven't heard it.

Post edited at 23:33
 Ridge 16 Nov 2020
In reply to Timmd:

The big question is did the OP mean "storage for outdoor gear" or "storage for gear outdoors"?

Timmd 17 Nov 2020
In reply to Ridge: Very true! The ambiguity of the English language. 

Post edited at 10:17
 Graeme G 17 Nov 2020
In reply to Philip:

I use the guest suite. Saves wasting space in the garage.

hang_about 17 Nov 2020
In reply to Philip:

We approached a local wood shop - they made up cupboards and drawers to our precise dimensions for not much more than IKEA  - and supporting local businesses as well. I'm sure they could source used wood as well.

Ridge 17 Nov 2020
In reply to Philip:

Attempt to upload a photo of home made gear cupboard...

Post edited at 11:50

Ridge 17 Nov 2020
In reply to Philip:

Hopefully shot of the inside. Essentially some old Ikea racking and a steel tube for a coat rail fixed to the back wall, and a couple of cheap doors and timber to wall it off.

daWalt 17 Nov 2020
In reply to Ridge:

> "storage for outdoor gear" or "storage for gear outdoors"?

I had to re-read the op too.

Either way, the advice is still valid. Stuff in sealed units can definetely get a bit foosty. Even with an open top box, stuff at the bottom can go a wee bit funny. I'v taken to drilling holes in boxes to get better ventilation. 

Also, a dehumidifier is worth it. 

Hat Dude 17 Nov 2020
In reply to Philip:

IKEA do a range of wire mesh baskets either with a frame or separately

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/jonaxel-mesh-basket-white-20419964/

We have some in our built in cupboards, better ventilated than plastic boxes and you can see what's inside

Timmd 17 Nov 2020
In reply to daWalt:

I didn't know it was being (virtually) sealed which can make things go foosty, I'd taken it to be from them being outside in the damp despite being in plastic tubs and bin liners. I fear I may send this down a side alley unhelpful to the OP, storing his outdoor gear indoors in an arrangement which is well ventilated does seem like a good idea. 

Post edited at 14:22
 Ridge 17 Nov 2020
In reply to daWalt:

Plus one for a dehumidifier, and also a big creel to hang clothing on with the dehumidifier running before hanging up in the cupboard.

OP Philip 17 Nov 2020
In reply to Timmd:

Outdoor-gear storage, as in storing the dirty and wet stuff. Not outdoor storage of gear.

Problem is not so much the lack of inspiration more the review of success. Google image search has loads of pictures of lovely storage racks, but I'm looking for what to avoid. The room it is going in is the colder north end of the house, big room with poor circulation of air and I've just removed a load of mould from one corner and binned the hardboard-backed furniture that aided it. I think I'm going to have an exposed shoe and coat rack and then cupboard for tents, sleeping bags, and crates for the gear.

Ridge 17 Nov 2020
In reply to Philip:

> Outdoor-gear storage, as in storing the dirty and wet stuff. Not outdoor storage of gear.

You really don't want to be storing stuff if it's wet.

If you have a big room I'd recommend a creel (that's what we called them when I was a kid, big wooden frame on pullies to hang clothes on and raise up in the air). Plus, as da walt said, a dehumdifier to pull the moisture out of the air, it's amazing how much water they remove. 

Timmd 17 Nov 2020
In reply to Ridge:

For somebody who claims to be not great at DIY that looks decent, I like the adaptation of the overdoor hanger to be hanging inside a door. 

Post edited at 15:36
 chris_r 17 Nov 2020
In reply to Ridge:

> If you have a big room I'd recommend a creel (that's what we called them when I was a kid, big wooden frame on pullies to hang clothes on and raise up in the air). 

I'm glad you defined it. I thought a creel was a pot that fishermen use to catch lobsters, so couldn't imagine how you were drying clothes on it.

What you are describing, I'd call a clothes maid. 

Ridge 17 Nov 2020
In reply to chris_r:

> I'm glad you defined it. I thought a creel was a pot that fishermen use to catch lobsters, so couldn't imagine how you were drying clothes on it.

> What you are describing, I'd call a clothes maid. 

I thought there might have been a translation issue! 'Overhead clothes airer' seems to be the generic term.

Whatever they're called, they're dead useful!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...