Lightweight waterproofs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Russell Lovett 15 Nov 2020

What lightweight waterproof jacket and trousers would people recommend. I'm looking for a combo that is both light and packs down really small. I,m not talking about your main winter, pouring down with rain waterproofs what I'm after are a jacket and overtrousers that I can keep in my sack all the time in summer incase I'm caught out in a shower or some light rain, obviously if rain was forecast I would take more substantial waterproofs. Cheers in advance for any replays.

Doug 15 Nov 2020
In reply to Russell Lovett:

I really liked my Marmot Precip jacket till the coating started to wear out, but it was several years old & lasted quite well for such a lightweight jacket. Unfortunately they seem to have changed the design a bit & the new models don't fit me so well so I'm also looking for lightweight jacket thats likely to spend more time being carried than worn

Post edited at 16:33
 DaveHK 15 Nov 2020

For trousers to leave in a bag just in case, these: https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/mens/trousers-shorts/mens-waterproof-trou...

Cheap as chips, really light and work surprisingly well. Worth spending a bit more on the jacket though I think.

Post edited at 16:32

If you can get it half price in the sale then Arcteryx Alpha FL is brilliant.  Packs down small and it is proper Gortex Pro not the Paclite stuff.

The compromise to get the size/weight down is there's only one pocket.

crayefish 15 Nov 2020

Very happy with my Outdoor Research Helium jacket.  Not had it in serious Scottish downpours yet, but it breaths very well, its super light and comes in a nice blend-in colour.  Its now my go-to jacket for multiday 3 season hiking (I use a Crux jacket in the mountains), so would fit your requirements perfectly.

Can't fault it and a good price too.

GrahamD 15 Nov 2020

I've got a lightweight Peter Storm in the bottom of my bag for exactly that purpose.   Seems daft to pay more.

daktulos 15 Nov 2020

I have an OMM Kamleika which isn't cheap, but is very lightweight and stretchy and packs down well - a favourite of ultra-runners.

Kryank 15 Nov 2020

I love my Rab borealis, not technically a waterproof but works well against showers, very light and packable, I climb in mine and this time of year wear it over a thicker soft shell (Alpha Flux Huddy). If I knew heavy rain was forecast like you said it wouldn’t be my go to but for everything else I can’t fault it! 
https://rab.equipment/uk/borealis-jacket

there is a review of it on UKC 

https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/clothing/softshell/summer_softshells-10301

Post edited at 18:51
 DaveHK 15 Nov 2020
In reply to daktulos:

> I have an OMM Kamleika which isn't cheap, but is very lightweight and stretchy and packs down well - a favourite of ultra-runners.

I've had three kamleikas and sent 2 back because stitching pulled after a few days. Not sure I'd have another.

DaveHK 15 Nov 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Loving the dislikes for my trouser suggestion, must be from the Arcteryx crowd.  

HeMa 15 Nov 2020

Can’t comment on the troos, but for the jacket I’ve had numerous. And one thing that has actually worked when bolting in C-rapun Finnish early winter conditions was the 5 eur or so waterproof packable anorak from Decathlon. 

If real use is needed, you’ll need to shell out more though. Haglöfs LIM series is a good bet, but fit for the jacket is the key (and for the troos).

plyometrics 15 Nov 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Agreed. The original Kamleika was a great jacket. The newer versions, of which I’ve had two, are absolute shite. Easily snagged and terrible stitching. Real shame as I loved the original. 

Stichtplate 15 Nov 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

> Loving the dislikes for my trouser suggestion, must be from the Arcteryx crowd.  

Love my Acteryx jackets but it's got to be properly grim to get the waterproof trousers out. I've had Berghaus paclite trousers for four years now, pack down really small, weigh nowt and they've performed brilliantly.

Babika 16 Nov 2020
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

Sadly I've had to send two Arcteryx Alphas back due to failure. Third time I gave up and moved to Rab.

Removed User 16 Nov 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

> Loving the dislikes for my trouser suggestion, must be from the Arcteryx crowd.  

Not me, though I think you paid too much. For a light set of 'get back to the car' gear when full gear isn't needed I take a dollar shop poncho and matching trousers. Poncho sees a bit of use, maybe 5 outings over a year and no signs of wear, haven't used the trousers yet. Combined size of a penguin paperback.

Fredt 16 Nov 2020

Mac in a Sac. £30. Always have mine in my rucksack, along with some Decathlon trousers.
(I never saw the point in Goretex trousers)

(Not for full on winter).

Post edited at 13:53
 olddirtydoggy 17 Nov 2020

For the really light weight I use a Mountain Hardwear Quasar lite 2 with the Berhaus paclite trousers. I've found the crotch on the paclites rather rubbish (3rd pair) The MH jacket is discontinued but still available from some discounters.

Post edited at 00:11
 SFM 17 Nov 2020

It depends on your build(I’m whippet shaped) but I’ve found the Marmot Essence and latterly the Inov8 Stormshield to be ideal for summer and “just in case” jackets. Both have minimal features but a hood with a peak(ish), stash pocket and under 200g were my prerequisites. 

Wainers44 17 Nov 2020
In reply to Babika:

> Sadly I've had to send two Arcteryx Alphas back due to failure. Third time I gave up and moved to Rab.

Its funny, the only jacket I have ever been really disappointed with was a Rab! Leaked from day one and bits fell off within a couple of years. 

By far the best lightweight jacket I have is a Berghaus Paclite which I bought in the sale from Gaynors years ago. Its frayed around the edges now but still keeps the water out.

elbeanio 17 Nov 2020

Has anybody used the Alpkit Gravitas?  Price and features look good for a stash in bag/running jacket.

geordiepie 17 Nov 2020

I use Montane Minimus trousers and OR Helium jacket - would recommend both

wercat 17 Nov 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

I went looking for something an ended getting something from Tog24 - they seemed to have variations from what you see in the main manufacturer's ranges and at a reasonable price.   It lasted a surprising length of time for 2-3 season use.

pass and peak 24 Nov 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

You might have got some dislikes but I see thev'e sold out in all the standard sizes, can't be that bad then!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...