Bouldering mat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Josh Nicoll 02 Nov 2020

Hi. Im new to outdoor bouldering (Ive been indoor climbing for a while) 

I'm guessing i really need to get a bouldering pad (To avoid ridicule il pretend I've not gone out a few times without one)

I looked at the alpkit waffa and I was wondering if this is any good? Im a beginner and dont have a lot of money haha. 

Andy Johnson 02 Nov 2020
In reply to Josh Nicoll:

I've not used the Waffa, but given its limited size and thickness it doesn't seem like it would provide much protection on its own. As the Alpkit website says, its designed to protect "sit starts and low traverses", so you probably need to be looking a more of a full-side pad.

I bough an Alpkit Origin over the summer. This was my first bouldering pad and I'm very happy with it, but I'm hardly an experienced outdoor boulderer. If you're looking for something lower cost, maybe the Phud might be a good compromise.

Post edited at 11:42
In reply to Josh Nicoll:

Moon Warrior, bang for buck it's the best out there.

Kryank 02 Nov 2020
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Yeah +1 for the Moon Warrior, a great pad and not too expensive in comparison to the other similar offerings, for a far better pad in my opinion.

ianstevens 02 Nov 2020
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Also £180, when the OP is clearly looking to not spend a big pile of money having proposed a £35 mat.

To the OP: worth looking out for a second-hand on, on here or on Outdoor Gear Exchange on Facebook. If not, An appkit one probably is the way to go - just not a waffa. They're really designed for keeping your shoes and arse clean for sit starts, or covering the gaps between multiple big pads. If you want to keep it cheap, the Phud is a useable pad. Not big nor luxury, but unlike the waffa or the bare ground will stop your knees taking the brunt of falling off. A Phud was my first pad around 8/9 years ago and despite having upgraded since, it was a good pad and worked well with my poor student budget. 

Another cheap-pad option is a Psychi pad. I've never used one of these in anger, but lots of people seem to rave about them. Bigger than a Phud, but an extra tenner and currently out of stock.

An alternate option might be to try and find some new friends who already own pads and go out with them. This might also help develop your skills a bit. Or, some old friends who also want to boulder outside that you could share the purchase of a bigger pad with? 

Edit: yes, a warrior is cheaper than similarly sized pads, but I'm guessing the OP isn't really looking at this category 

Post edited at 11:50
 Manboob 02 Nov 2020
In reply to Josh Nicoll:

Where are you based? I have a moon warrior which I'm considering selling? Drop me an email 

Cheers Andy

Post edited at 17:03
Josh Nicoll 02 Nov 2020
In reply to Manboob:

Hiya! I'm based in Bath Somerset 

Josh Nicoll 02 Nov 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

Thankyou so much for the info. Il go and have a look into all of them 

Yeah I think friends are what is needed. The problem is all my climbing friends are back home 150 miles away while I study here in Bath 

Josh Nicoll 02 Nov 2020
In reply to Josh Nicoll:

Feel like I shouldn't clog up this by replying to you all individually but to all of you thankyou so much for your advice. I did think 4cm seemed a bit thin compared to the big mats that are in climbing walls. I wasn't sure if it was some sort of magic foam that I'd never heard of. 

Il have a look into all the options see what fits with my theatre student budget 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...