Loch Maree sport on BBC Adventure Show 13.11.20

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Loch Maree Crag

From the Adventure Show's FB page:

Programme Incoming... Sports climbing on primetime TV! Fri 13th Nov, 20.00hrs. BBC Scotland channel & the usual places - spectacular moves from a brilliant team. Calum Cunningham, Emma Davidson, Rhys Langlands and Hannah Smith tackle Loch Maree's Super Crag.

Michael Gordon 29 Oct 2020
In reply to Vanessa Simmons:

Can you remind us again the day before?  

DaveHK 29 Oct 2020

Thanks for the heads up but...

It'll be disappointing and less than sum of its parts, the adventure show almost always is. Great scenery and really interesting people doing amazing things will be reduced to trite sound bites and clichés.  

Dougie: did you find it difficult?

Interviewee: a bit.

Dougie: you must have been tired by the end.

Interviewee: aye.

Dougie: how long have you been doing this for?

Interviewee: about 10 years.

And so on...

Edit: and a fiver says the word 'daredevil' will feature.

Post edited at 20:33
 JLS 29 Oct 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

>”things will be reduced to trite sound bites and clichés.”

Harsh... but fair.  

colinakmc 29 Oct 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Probably nice footage tho.

Available now on iplayer: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000pd45/the-adventure-show-202021-th...

(I haven’t seen it yet as I don’t live in Scotland)

digby 14 Nov 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Nope. It was surprisingly good.

I thought it was very good and avoided the usual banality. It could appeal to climbers and non-climbers and this was probably helped by the clips with the advisors who added weight to Dougie Vipond's presenter role. I also liked how they referred to the special measures required to film it in the current circumstances. A good watch.

drconline 14 Nov 2020

You should still be able to watch on iPlayer in the rest of the UK Vanessa.

(but not outside UK even with a VPN)

Andy Long 14 Nov 2020

I'd question whether sport climbing is an appropriate subject for The "Adventure" Show.

And completely unrelated to this, Dougie Vipond once presented a weekly lunchtime music show on Radio Scotland called "Live at The Lemon Tree". On one occasion he was interviewing a member of a Shetland band called "The Red Vans". "A rather unusual name, don't you think?" said Dougie. Pregnant pause then....."Vipond".

Post edited at 14:54
 Mark Bull 14 Nov 2020
In reply to digby:

I enjoyed it a lot more than the show's usual fare of adventure racing. I thought it did a decent job of explaining the action without over-hyping, though I though the differences between trad and sport and why some climbers prefer one over the other could have been done a bit better (how hard would it have been to show how trad gear actually works in a bit of rock?). I had some concerns that the average viewer could come away with the impression than male climbers are much better than female ones, which is so far from reality in sport climbing. 

drconline 14 Nov 2020
In reply to Mark Bull:

Agreed. Would have been great to have a female ‘expert’ as well of course to help redress the gender representation.

digby 15 Nov 2020
In reply to Mark Bull:

I agree.
Maybe they brought along the female climbers for balance - and maybe they couldn't find any who'd been working the routes, as they were doing onsights, making it look like they weren't that good.
The male climbers had been there all year and knew the routes intimately.

Michael Gordon 15 Nov 2020

I found the bit with the guys interesting since it's pretty hard stuff, something I'd very rarely see in real life. The girls' section went on a bit by comparison. But the whole programme was hardly gripping stuff in general from a viewing perspective, and my eyes were starting to glaze over on discussions of the difference between sport and trad etc, so I can't think what the average viewer might have made of it.

Michael Gordon 15 Nov 2020
In reply to digby:

> Maybe they brought along the female climbers for balance - and maybe they couldn't find any who'd been working the routes, as they were doing onsights, making it look like they weren't that good.

> The male climbers had been there all year and knew the routes intimately.

It nicely showed the difference between onsighting and redpointing, and the difficulty of reading the rock sometimes. Whether the average viewer is interested in that though, is perhaps another matter!

Robert Durran 15 Nov 2020
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> It nicely showed the difference between onsighting and redpointing, and the difficulty of reading the rock sometimes. Whether the average viewer is interested in that though, is perhaps another matter!

Two non-climbing friends of mine thought it was an amazing watch.

The actual climbing was excellent, especially the men's routes. Desperately hard and long. It gave a real insight into the level of skill and fitness required for elite level climbing. Well done Rhys, Callum and the girls. 

Good filming and I enjoyed some of the historical pieces.  However, as a climber what I find irritating about a lot of these films is the need to over explain everything. As a result it loses a bit of the adventure and mystique. 

sheppy 24 Nov 2020
In reply to digby:

And they did explain that pretty clearly as well as explaining that Emma and Hannah were primarily indoor competition climbers, the opposite to the guys.

steveriley 24 Nov 2020

I watched in a couple of chunks, agree it could have been tighter. Happy to see some climbing on mainstream telly though. It was a bit like one of those property programmes where it doesn't quite wrap up in the allotted time. "Two weeks later Tess and Sandy made an offer on a different property and are very happy."

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...