Helmet force factor. Horse bike climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam Mayfield 29 Oct 2020

Off got into a discussion on a horse site. Bad idea I know as most are crazy horse ladies lol

They are saying a bike helmet is not as strong as a horse riding one. 

I found where it said the shape is different but with today's standards is the hit force the same. Where can I find this information. 

Thanks hive mind. 

gethin_allen 29 Oct 2020
In reply to Sam Mayfield:

Strength is not always a benefit. You need something that will absorb the forces not just transmit them into our head.

Have you felt the weight of horse riding helmets? admittedly I've only ever used hire equipment which is probably built/selected for durability over high tech performance, but they remind me of the old Joe Brown helmets my parents had in the attic. Heavy as a brick and about as high tech.

bouldery bits 29 Oct 2020

Horse bike climbing sounds extreme.

Ridge 29 Oct 2020

They're completely different bits of kit. Bike helmets are to EN1078, riding helmets used to be to EN1384, but no-one could agree on a revised standard and now there are differing standards. (Standard for Eventing is now VG1 in EU and VG1 or PAS015 in UK). You could look up the relevant standards if interested?

Just had a look at Mrs Ridge's riding helmet and it seems to be much more robust, (and better built) than my basic cycling helmet. They'll also be designed for different types of impact.

johnt 29 Oct 2020

Are horse riding helmets designed to withstand a shod horses hoof... 

jimtitt 29 Oct 2020
In reply to johnt:

Yes

I knew someone who fell off her horse. The helmet protected her head, but she died at the scene, in a friend's arms, with a broken neck.

Which is the perennial problem with helmets; protect the brain, but significantly increase the lever effect on the neck.

Post edited at 16:35
OP Sam Mayfield 29 Oct 2020
In reply to Ridge:

Thanks Ridge I'll look at up. 

I have old style heavy helmets and then super lightweight ones that look just like a bike helmet same weight too.

Sam.

Post edited at 18:01
OP Sam Mayfield 29 Oct 2020
In reply to johnt:

Yeh but isnt a bike helmet for a car maybe ior hitting a windscreen?

Post edited at 18:04
 johnt 29 Oct 2020

I think if a car runs over your head it doesn't matter what you are wearing.....

Toerag 30 Oct 2020

One of my scouts was hit by a car once. His helmet had an imprint of the grille in front of the windscreen on it. It certainly saved his life.

Blue Straggler 30 Oct 2020
In reply to Ridge:

I have a Salewa Helium helmet apparently rated for climbing, cycling, kayaking and horse riding 

wercat 30 Oct 2020
In reply to johnt:

Deep sea diver helmet?

Timmd 30 Oct 2020
In reply to captain paranoia:

> I knew someone who fell off her horse. The helmet protected her head, but she died at the scene, in a friend's arms, with a broken neck.

> Which is the perennial problem with helmets; protect the brain, but significantly increase the lever effect on the neck.

It's probably worth asking for the neck to be checked out after an 'off', I once read of a man who had fractured his neck vertebra in a bike accident. While concussed I didn't think to have my aching neck checked out after headbutting a drystone wall with my bike helmeted head, it can be tricky to remember these things with a shaken up head. 

Post edited at 10:55
 jimtitt 30 Oct 2020
In reply to captain paranoia:

Neck braces have been standard for off-road motorcycling for ages and road bikers use air-bag jackets with neck braces. You can buy air-bag cycling helmets/neck braces as well. Like climbing helmets it's not a question of the maximum available protection but customer resistance ("it's too heavy, too hot etc").

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...